Question Help, understanding bottleneck - with graph

TomasdeVasconcellos

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2016
Frustration: posted on reddit a couple of days ago similar graph, everyone telling me that was a CPU bottleneck. I went to watch a bunch of youtube videos to understand better the concept of bottleneck, testing again, it seems to me that my bottleneck is on GPU. Completely lost in what to think at this point.

It's weird for me that a 3080 is the botteneck, it's a recent gpu. But who knows. I don't. V-sync was off if relevant.

Image: View: https://imgur.com/a/DLgyzYo
- Playing sackboy

Specs:
Motherboard: ATX Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390 (Wi-fi)
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k @ 3.70 GHz Turbo 4.7 GHz 12MB Hexa-Core (6 cores, 12 threads)
Cooler Corsair Hydro Series H100i RGB Platinum SE 240mm
RAM: G.Skill Kit 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz Trident Z Neo RGB CL16
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio 10G
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W Full Modular SSR-650FX

Ralston18

Titan
Disk drives(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Get a sense of what system resources are being used at any given time, to what extent they are being used ( % ), and what application, process, service is using the resources.

Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) may also help.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Do not be in rush and start changing things. Be deliberate, methodical, and keep notes.

Once you are able to re-create the "bottleneck" at will then look for potential solutions.

Avoid software claiming to "fix" the problem. Some of those apps and utilities will show up no matter what the problem may be.

And stay out of the Registry. Registry edits are a very last resort and applied only after a full system backup and a Registry backup as well.

Ralston18

Titan
You are welcome and I can agree that it can be and is confusing.

Yes - use the graphs. Much easier to spot trends and changes than looking at continuing rows of changing numbers....

Key is to keep an eye on both the proverbial "big picture" as well as the details. Context and details matter.

Also key is to avoid jumping to conclusions and making changes. Scale is important, margin of error is important.

Ideally if you can discover the specific circumstances that create what is seen as the bottleneck then you have a starting point from which to apply potential fixes.

Be methodical, change only one thing at a time, and (as always) have backups - just in case...

As for Storage 50% free (without seeing the details) is good. My personal preference uses/allows more use of drive storage. Always leaving free storage 20-30% for any given drive.