Help understanding CPU specs for smartphones

ayjay2016

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016
I am pretty newbish when it comes to smart phone internal workings. As in processors and chipsets and such. Which is pretty sad since i can basically teach a class on computer/desktop/laptop internal workings and design. I can pretty much get by reading the specs on phones. But one thing has me a bit puzzled. When looking at pretty much every smart phone manufactured anf debuted since at least 2015. When reading the CPU spec. I see this:

LG G5
Dual-core 2.15 GHz Kryo & dual-core 1.6 GHz Kryo
----or-------
LG G4
Quad-core 1.44 GHz Cortex-A53 & dual-core 1.82 GHz Cortex-A57

Can someone please explain exactly what this means. Is this a Hex Core phone? Or is it literally two seperate processors in a single system that sre used independent of each other. This is not the GPU because its listed under this in the specs.

Solution
Looks like it's a quad core with half the cores clocked lower for power saving/heat. Qualcomm refers to them as the Performance Cluster and Power Cluster. Reminds me a little of Turboboost's approach to single core performance. Seems like a smart idea for battery life if they can shunt less intensive tasks to the power clusters when the performance clusters aren't needed.

shahbaz200

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012

Yes its Hexa core if you count all the cores. G4 has two clusters of cores. It is based on ARM's big.LITTLE configuration for performance and efficiency. performance core are those 2 A57 cores and power saving are those 4 A53. When there is less load on phone lower power consuming cores are used and when demand gets higher, more powerful cores does its job. All the 6 cores can be active at the same time. Higher performance are usually at lower clock when doing normal job. When little cores are at max and it is still not enough, big will kick in..
From Cortex-A35, the 64 bit capabilities start. Though most used are A53 and A57.

G5 is more faster. The Kryo architecture is better than A57. Also a 64 bit CPU. SoC in G4 is Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 and in G5 is Qualcomm Snapdragon 820. Technology in G5 is also better as time passe things get better. CPU is manufactured on small process. 14nm where as processing technology in 808 is 20nm. As chips get smaller they also get faster because of less time taken. Cache gets faster and more in size and memory bandwidth is improved.

PS: Are you a computer teacher?

Solution

shahbaz200

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
And yes Clock speed and number of cores doesn't always means "performance". Thats why iPhones single/dual core easily smashes Mediatek's octa core phones. This is just trick played by manufactures, people think OMG it has 8 cores!!! and iPhone only 2!!! This is more faster and cheaper!!! lol
But most time it isn't. Chinese 8 core phones are a lot cheaper than say Samsungs Note 4 which is Octa core phone but performance difference here is BIG.