[SOLVED] Help understanding the limits of my screens resolution

Apr 18, 2021
Hello to everyone,

I hope you are all well, free from any strong consequence from this pandemics situation.

I have a second screen which is a SHARP TV MODEL LC-60UQ17U, Which if I understand correctly withstands 4K resolution @120-240Hz, as I can see this on the menu:

8fb7333a-0019-4a8c-bcb4-d4806033b2dc.jpg

Connected to it, I have a laptop computer: OMEN by HP 17-an0xx, which has an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070. Currently the screen of my computer, runs at 1920 x 1080 @ 120 Hz (screen 1).

My HDMI cable is a Manhattan brand cable, as displayed in the following amazon link: https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/product/B07QXD6SCF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Which addresses that it is a 2.0 HDMI cable 4K@60Hz, 18 Gbps, Active Optical Cable; most of this characteristics are printed along the cable itself.

However, when I try to play with the resolutions, I have been able to display 4K on my second screen, but only at a maximum refresh rate of 30 Hz. The best I can do is to leave it at 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz interlaced (which I've read its similar to 120Hz). This is possible to set up with previous lower quality cables I´ve had as well, but I have to agree that with this cable it seems to run smoother.

I've tried setting up higher refresh rates, at personalized resolutions with my Nvidia configuration center higher than 30 Hz (with both progressive and interlaced), but things don't seem to work very well. I have also used external programs for this, but I get the same unsatisfactory results. I´ve been able to run 4K @ 30 Hz (interlaced), but I´ve seen that the refresh rate gets automatically dropped to 15 Hz (interlaced).

I'm a bit confused with all this, and I would like to know if it is even worth it to play videos or movies in 4K resolution in this case (specially since 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz interlaced, looks way better than 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz progressive).

I thank you all in advance for your attention, if you need further information on this please do not hesitate to request it.

Much love to you all.

Apr 18, 2021
Thank you Geofelt,

I didn´t imagine that would be the problem, since it would actually let me select 4K at my display configuration.

I'm sorry if this question seemed silly.

Have a great week!