Question !Help! Updating BIOS on B450 Aorus Elite

Nov 23, 2019
I have a Ryzen 5 3600 on a B450 Aorus Elite (Gigabyte) and 16 GB of RAM in two DIMMs. I bought my components with the inclusion that they (the company) update the motherboard BIOS so support Ryzen 3rd, Gen. They updated the BIOS to version F41a (the latest one at the time, currently unavailable to download on the GIGABYTE website), I am aware that if the letter is after the FXX then it is not fully stable. I want to update to BIOS version F50, does that mean I would have to update to F42f and then F50? or can I just go to the version I need? I also read on the website that they have a note stating :
"Note: Before updating BIOS to this new version, you MUST follow the steps as detailed under BIOS F40 discription" https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios (I am aware description is spelled wrong, and I am wondering if it is trustworthy).

However, do I need to follow these steps even if they are not under the F50 section? Is there software I can use to download and use on windows by Gigabyte that updates my BIOS and reduces the chance of a failed or wrong update?
This is my first time and I don't want to brick my motherboard hence I am asking a lot of questions.

Thank you for your help in advance!

I have a Ryzen 5 3600 on a B450 Aorus Elite (Gigabyte) and 16 GB of RAM in two DIMMs. I bought my components with the inclusion that they (the company) update the motherboard BIOS so support Ryzen 3rd, Gen. They updated the BIOS to version F41a (the latest one at the time, currently unavailable to download on the GIGABYTE website), I am aware that if the letter is after the FXX then it is not fully stable. I want to update to BIOS version F50, does that mean I would have to update to F42f and then F50? or can I just go to the version I need? I also read on the website that they have a note stating :
"Note: Before updating BIOS to this new version, you MUST follow the steps as detailed under BIOS F40 discription" https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios (I am aware description is spelled wrong, and I am wondering if it is trustworthy).

However, do I need to follow these steps even if they are not under the F50 section? Is there software I can use to download and use on windows by Gigabyte that updates my BIOS and reduces the chance of a failed or wrong update?
This is my first time and I don't want to brick my motherboard hence I am asking a lot of questions.

Your best bet is to use BIOS option to update to last available BIOS version. If it's not right one BIOS will reject it and will not even try to update it. Don't use any SW to force it.

Reactions: Piscatrio
Nov 23, 2019
Your best bet is to use BIOS option to update to last available BIOS version. If it's not right one BIOS will reject it and will not even try to update it. Don't use any SW to force it.
I'm sorry but I have no idea what you mean by "update to last available BIOS version", or "use BIOS option" I am aware that there is a q-flash utility and that might mean "BIOS option" however I want to update to a newer BIOS and not the last available BIOS version, or is that what you meant by "last available BIOS version"?

I'm sorry but I have no idea what you mean by "update to last available BIOS version", or "use BIOS option" I am aware that there is a q-flash utility and that might mean "BIOS option" however I want to update to a newer BIOS and not the last available BIOS version, or is that what you meant by "last available BIOS version"?
Now I don't understand you. You asked about updating BIOS. Check your MB's manual, there is way to update BIOS right from BIOS settings and that's preferred way instead of using software from windows.

Sep 27, 2019

You need to install an older gen ryzen processor in order to update your bios. Otherwise your pc isn't going to post at all with your 3600