Help updating bios

Mar 2, 2013
Asus rog Strix x370-f gaming is my motherboard. I wanted to update it but I downloaded the latest version and it is a .cap file do I use this just like a rom file on any other motherboard I've never had .cap file before.

Solution
Probably because these days it's almost a foregone conclusion that updating will be necessary since board partners no longer think they need to work out all the compatibility issues before releasing a model like they used to do. They figure they'll release as they go, which means often hardware incompatibilities aren't found until the product has been leaving shelves for some time already.

That, and like a lot of people, he may have concerns regarding the Meltdown and Spectre side channel vulnerabilities that they are saying require firmware updates to bolster security against. I for one am not installing the latest firmware against these as I am unwilling to trade off my performance when I already know these are only critical if you...
Yeah, that's not helpful. We need EXACT model numbers and also what revision your board is. It should be directly printed on the board along one of the edges or across the middle somewhere. You can also look on the packaging it came in if you still have it.

Mar 2, 2013

I want to update my bios because its highly recommended to update ryzen systems since so many improvements have been made since launch. Specifically I have 3200hmz ram and my system is unstable if I try to run that speed on the current version.

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
Ah, ok. Forgive me, but people shouldn't do BIOS updates on perfectly functioning motherboards. The Ryzen thing, that's different.

BTW, if you download CPU-Z (https://cpu-z.en.softonic.com/?ex=DSK-347.0) it will give you the details of the motherboard you need.

Probably because these days it's almost a foregone conclusion that updating will be necessary since board partners no longer think they need to work out all the compatibility issues before releasing a model like they used to do. They figure they'll release as they go, which means often hardware incompatibilities aren't found until the product has been leaving shelves for some time already.

That, and like a lot of people, he may have concerns regarding the Meltdown and Spectre side channel vulnerabilities that they are saying require firmware updates to bolster security against. I for one am not installing the latest firmware against these as I am unwilling to trade off my performance when I already know these are only critical if you have already allowed the prerequisite malware to be present on your system in order for these vulnerabilities to be used anyhow. No thanks. I'll just keep windows patched and keep my malware definitions up to date.

But for other reasons, I am always totally for being up to date if hardware or performance considerations are in play.

If you can't figure it out from this, then I guess you need to find somebody with experience updating bios and have them help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG63bPkXqR4

Solution

Once the .cap file is downloaded to your USB, you can use the EZ Flash3 utility in Bios. Just follow the instructions (page 3-22 in your MB Manual) Make sure the USB is empty, single partition and formatted to fat32.