Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Wrenching on the nephews rig that is a few years old:
Intel Core i7-4770K
Nvidia GTX 650 Ti
Asrock Z87 Extreme4 Mobo
1x8GB - Crucial BLS8G3D1609DS1S00

He is looking to add some horsepower
He is liking the RTX 2060 gpu. Looks like this should be a snap in upgrade - but looking for someone to confirm (please and thanks)

I am not sure that there is a value in changing CPUs but interested in opinions here too...
More memory?
Overclock the CPU - add a better cooler?

Honestly - I don't game and I am normally the malware removal and hard drive replacement uncle... So take me to school if you will.

Thanks a bunch,
Uncle Frank

You can add more system RAM, and make it 16GB dual-channel, if you wish. That CPU should work fine with the RTX 2060, IMO, but what about the POWER SUPPLY unit/PSU ? Do you also have a compatible PSU with you ?

If you want to OC the CPU, then you can grab some custom liquid cooling solution for the CPU. Btw, that ASROCK mobo is a very good board.

https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060/intel-core-i7-4770k-3-50ghz/

Solution
The make and model of your power supply is needed to know if it can power an RTX 2060.
I would think a 16gb kit of ram would provide a better experience in a lot of games.
I would do the above 2 and then if your cpu cant keep up, i would try an overclock with a good cooler like a corsair H100i pro. The I7 should perform well in a lot of modern titles.

noobfrank02

Commendable
Feb 26, 2018
Hi all

Thanks so much for the answers and tips.

I am trying to get the psu specs. Looks like the GPU he wants is a good choice. Thanks for the link to the review Metal Messiah - that is nice.

I have one question though - looks like the memory modules are obsolete. Can I add one other 8GB stick with exact specs or do I really need to have 2 exact sticks?

Okay - more later.

Thanks again,
Uncle Frank

Reactions: Metal Messiah.