[SOLVED] Help Upgrade a 2015 Build (Budget $500-800)

SpectreHawke

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
Hi,

Other than hearing my computer hum loudly and feeling it be rather warm (not hot, but warm like a low setting heater), I've noticed my computer uses a lot of RAM lately when I am using 2 of my monitors and my Huion 24" display drawing tablet. The usual programs I run consist of Clip Paint Studio, Discord, Netflix or some streaming service, and maybe I'll take a break and game or have another drawing software open on another monitor to switch between. I'm unsure if I just need to add more RAM or upgrade some of my parts. This was my old build-in 2015 which I'm currently still using. Feedback would be much appreciated.

What I'm looking for:
  • Trying to make sure I'm up to date/all parts are compatible
  • Would like a new case for cable management preferably mid-tower (but maybe full tower if room is required)
  • Budget around $500 or $800 (if necessary)
Current Build since 2015:
PCPartPicker 2015 List
Processor - Intel i5 4590K
MotherBoard - GIGABYTE LGA 1150
RAM - Team Dark 8GB x2
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Superclocked
PSU - ROSEWILL RD700
HD - Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Crucial MX100 256 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Case - APEVIA X-Hermes
Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Last edited:
Solution
if you are willing to go to $800, a full system upgrade is within reach:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($80.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3733 CL17 Memory ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Team MS30 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB Phoenix OC Video Card ($229.99 @ B&H)
Case: DIYPC Zondda ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.89 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 500 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.98 @...
I'll be straight with you, there's no where to take this system really.

your gpu is not amazing anymore, but I wouldn't put something more powerful than that in that build.
You already have an SSD, and 16 gigs of ram (should?) be enough

If you want to upgrade your system it's probably gonna have to be most of it.

BUT (read this)
Your system should actually be good enough for drawing and basic streaming.
You said your pc uses a lot of ram, but that's fine, as long as you don't use all of your ram, there shouldn't be any problem.

Is it feeling slow? or sluggish in some sort of way?

SpectreHawke

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
I'll be straight with you, there's no where to take this system really.

your gpu is not amazing anymore, but I wouldn't put something more powerful than that in that build.
You already have an SSD, and 16 gigs of ram (should?) be enough

If you want to upgrade your system it's probably gonna have to be most of it.

BUT (read this)
Your system should actually be good enough for drawing and basic streaming.
You said your pc uses a lot of ram, but that's fine, as long as you don't use all of your ram, there shouldn't be any problem.

Is it feeling slow? or sluggish in some sort of way?

Lol, this computer be outdated now. If I were to upgrade my systems, which ones would I need to overhaul?

Typically, it’ll feel sluggish when I’m switching programs, if I am Discord streaming a game and I need to google something or what not the screen will freeze for a moment, but resume within a minute or so.

As for most of the games I play, they run well with high graphics. The only things I notice that I get lag with is probably Detroit Become Human, Death Stranding and Red Dead Redemption 2. I did preorder Cyberpunk 2077 which I am worried now if my computer can handle the game. What made me aware of my higher ram was running modded Minecraft Java Edition, My computer was noisier and warmer than what I’m used to especially when I had Netflix on my other monitor.

Lol, this computer be outdated now. If I were to upgrade my systems, which ones would I need to overhaul?

Typically, it’ll feel sluggish when I’m switching programs, if I am Discord streaming a game and I need to google something or what not the screen will freeze for a moment, but resume within a minute or so.

As for most of the games I play, they run well with high graphics. The only things I notice that I get lag with is probably Detroit Become Human, Death Stranding and Red Dead Redemption 2. I did preorder Cyberpunk 2077 which I am worried now if my computer can handle the game. What made me aware of my higher ram was running modded Minecraft Java Edition, My computer was noisier and warmer than what I’m used to especially when I had Netflix on my other monitor.
What you need to do is detect where the main bottleneck is in your system.
Your pc is pretty balanced tbh so I don't know where that would be.

Those 3 games you mentioned are poorly optimized and it doesn't matter what hardware you have. They are demanding+poorly optimized.

Open task manager, and check if when running modded minecraft, your ram usage is 100%.
If it's not, it doesn't matter.

Aside from that, for upgrading
you would want to swap the cpu first
Cpu swap means motherboard, and ram swap.
Possibly PSU too.

Check when running red dead, or a different heavy game what is closer to 100%, the gpu or the cpu. I would bet it's quite close on both.

SpectreHawke

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
Yeah at max, I noted the spikes to be at most 40-60% with an occasional jump to 70-80% but only when I’m multitasking.

A friend of mine actually recommended that I check my thermal paste which I haven’t done in... a few years as well upgrade my PSU then RAM then CPU if my thermal paste doesn’t help.

Both games run about the same, spiking to 100% most of the time.

Parts I’m thinking

PSU: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze
RAM: Corsair Vengeance or Kingston

if you are willing to go to $800, a full system upgrade is within reach:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($80.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3733 CL17 Memory ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Team MS30 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB Phoenix OC Video Card ($229.99 @ B&H)
Case: DIYPC Zondda ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.89 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 500 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $786.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-30 13:44 EDT-0400

transfer your existing 2TB Hard drive and you're all good to go,

Solution

TRENDING THREADS