Help Upgrade my Graphics card! 4GB GDDR5 too slow for 3 monitors w/ Ultra-Wide resolution

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

epicturkey85

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017
I currently have this graphics card:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131707

I have 3 monitors, (2 HD, 1 UWHD):

• [1920x1080]
    [2560x1080]
    [1920x1080]
If I just plug my monitors in without adjusting Display Settings, I can only get signal from 2 at a time. The only way I can get all 3 monitors to display, is either to turn DOWN my resolution on all of them, or to turn on "Virtual Super Resolution" on my UWHD (2560x1080), but this makes EVERYTHING SLOWWWW. Even just opening new chrome and IE tabs or moving a window is choppy and laggy. My display speed with virtualization is TERRIBLE!

So... I want to upgrade my Graphics card, but I don't know what to get...
I need a graphics card that can handle a total combine resolution of 6400 x 1080 WITHOUT VIRTUALIZATION. Extra points for cards with 3xHDMI ports.

Purchase Date: SOON, ASAP
Budget: ~ $250
Preferred Retailers: Amazon, Newegg, TigerDirect
PSU: 650W https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182322
MOBO: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A33PHLA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solution

"Medium is not decent"
That's your opinion.

You want to see the 1050Ti in action and prove your "2560x1080 suffering" wrong?

Skyrim on Ultra at 5760 x 1200. That's more than twice the resolution of 2560x1080, and I was getting 30-60 all around.
Edit: Poor spelling and grammar
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnzYeZKNz_o"][/video]

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015

I wasn't handing out warnings, as you put it, I was simply making the other poster aware of possible consequences of their actions.

You know what I meant by necroposting - the thread has already been solved and there's no reason to post in it unless there's someone with the same issue who needs assistance. Considering you've got an RX Vega 8GB, I doubt this thread is of any use to you.

epicturkey85

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017
For the record, the 6GB 1060's and 1070's were just outside my price range of $250. I'm sure they'd be better than my 1050 TI (they have to be, right?) but ultimately, price + taxes + shipping on 1060's and 1070's would have put me easily at the $300 price mark or WELL above it, even if I'd have picked up a used GIGABYTE (and I once had 6 failed GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P (rev. 2.0) MOBOs in a ROW, 2 months of wasted RMAs. I'm GLAD there wasn't a tempting deal on a GIGABYTE)

Ultimately - I'm super happy that the community feedback led to a satisfying purchase, comfortably within my price range. I've been having a blast with this 1050 Ti for almost 3 days of solid work and play with hardly any sleep. Its great!

I'm running all my Steam titles at max settings, while streaming HD and 2K (VUDU, Amazon), and doing just about everything I can to pound the snot out of this card. My keyboard has been active for more than 50 of the past 72 hours, and amazingly, I haven't seen 1 single, infantile graphical glitch, tear, anomaly, or even a fraction of a second of video lag, but I swear I can hear the 1050 Ti giggling at me between purrs from inside my CoolerMaster HAF!

Everyone including EquineHero, told me to get at least the 6GB 1060, but I have to give it to him - EquineHero is right when he says you guys aren't giving the 1050 Ti enough credit.

Oh! In case it helps solve the puzzle about why my 1050 Ti is so amazing... my machine also has
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Patriot Viper 3 DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5 GHz Socket AM3+ 95W
HDD: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD

PS: Is Equine really getting warned for calling miners "Knob"s? I bet you can find at least 3 other words on this page your moms would wash your mouths out with soap for saying in Church.

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015

For the record, Gigabyte is trash. I don't buy anything from them or MSI, especially low end motherboards. If Corsair made motherboards they'd have my money as soon as the ink on the paycheck dried.

Speaking of the 1050Ti, download MSI Afterburner and throw a healthy +200Mhz to Core and Memory, and if that doesn't satisfy you open the curve editor.

I managed to squeeze 2.055Ghz on my 1050Ti, that's when I recorded the video you saw. Not to mention the 1050Ti 4GB takes a crap on most cards AMD has produced lately minus Vega.

I honestly can't stop saying good things about the EVGA variant of the 1050Ti, mine was the FTW version with the 6-pin plug. You could play Witcher 3 on High or Ultra without HW and HBAO+ with ease.

The 4GB of memory is a very nice bonus, especially in games with tons of HD textures like GTA and TW3. Not to mention it'll do those games while staying completely cool and quiet. Take off the fans and at stock speeds it'll only get to 60C.

I probably got warned because "knob" is slang for that pork sausage that sits between any man's legs. I doubt miners appreciate being called Willy, Peter, and Johnson. Regardless, they are at fault, they're the reason the 1050Ti FTW I picked up for $160 is now selling for $200.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
@equine hero

You suddenly decided it was necroposting because you made your final word in the thread. You were doing the same thing you're accusing him of.

In any event, continuing to engage the moderation staff with this attitude will not end well for your tenure here. I suggest you lose the attitude. And yes the context of this thread doesn't have anything to do with my system, that's not why I am here. I am a moderator here and you acting like a petulant 5 year old when someone challenges your opinion has everything to do with me.

And furthermore, it is highly normal for conversation in a thread to continue on long after a solution has been selected. Anybody who has been a member for some time or has a reasonable amount of common sense knows this. I think you know this too and are simply being snarky, which is not appreciated when to that point you were merely being asked to keep it on an even keel.

Every member at Tom's hardware is welcome, and appreciated, but being disrespectful to moderators or even other members, will not be tolerated in any way, so keep that in mind when posting and lets not find ourselves in a situation where sanctions or other actions are required. If you are unsure what constitutes unacceptable behavior, it can certainly be explained to you although I seriously doubt you were unaware of what you were doing. And this is not the only thread this has happened in so be aware that we are aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.