HELP upgraded over malware...

I bought a used computer with ME already installed, and no disc. I then got a
virus or something, now I thought someone had repaired it but I just now
found out all she did was upgrade it to XP PRO over the malware. Of course
I'm still having problems with it! Now a friend of mine is telling me to let
him format it, and something to the effect of ..I need to buy the ME cd and
boot something. One of my problems is, I don't have any CD's for any drivers.
So what can I do to get the upgrade off and remove the malware off on ME? I
guess there's spyware on it too.

Hi

If you've got no Windows OS disks at all, then you will have to purchase a
full retail version of one. You will probably be better off starting from
scratch and reformating. However, if the PC had Win ME installed, you may
like to look at the Upgrade Advisor to see if it will run Win XP without
having to upgrade any of the components:

"Windows XP Upgrade Advisor"
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/advisor.mspx

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"cathyinmo" <cathyinmo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought a used computer with ME already installed, and no disc. I then got
> virus or something, now I thought someone had repaired it but I just now
> found out all she did was upgrade it to XP PRO over the malware. Of course
> I'm still having problems with it! Now a friend of mine is telling me to
> let
> him format it, and something to the effect of ..I need to buy the ME cd
> and
> boot something. One of my problems is, I don't have any CD's for any
> drivers.
> So what can I do to get the upgrade off and remove the malware off on ME?
> guess there's spyware on it too.

I tried to and got a warning of -the windows I have on the comp is newer than
the version on the CD-and-if I decide to delete the newer version of windows,
the files and settings cannot be recovered. I can't find the program on the
comp where it shows it was upgraded and uninstall it. I can't really reformat
becuz of the lack of CD's

> I tried to and got a warning of -the windows I have on the comp is newer
than
> the version on the CD-

This would be because at least one service pack has been installed, and so
the OS on the drive is newer than the one on the CD. A "repair" install
will ignore this, but will probably not touch the malware problems.

> and-if I decide to delete the newer version of windows,
> the files and settings cannot be recovered.

Frankly, that's usually pretty much a small problem. Locate and copy away
address books and email files, and any documents and favourites you have.
If you're using outlook or outlook express, also export the email accounts
and save them off. These will make restoring the machine to a basic usable
state much faster and easier.

> I can't find the program on the
> comp where it shows it was upgraded and uninstall it.

This would be any and all service packs in Add/Remove Programs, in Control
Panel.

> I can't really reformat
> becuz of the lack of CD's

Then you'll need to get some. I would expect the machine to continue giving
problems unless dealt with properly.

As to drivers, get a copy of what was Aida32 here:
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=1

it will do a fairly thorough audit of the machine and make a list of what
hardware is installed and what drivers are in use. You can use this
information to get updated or correct drivers after the rebuild.

HTH
-pk
<snippage>

Hi

I still think that you will have to buy a full retail version of XP Pro.
With that you will at least be able to try a 'Repair' install of XP.