Help Upgrading 9 Year Old System

Nov 7, 2018
Hi all,

I originally built my current system back in 2009 and tried to make it as future proof and upgradable as possible, but it's just not cutting it anymore and I don't think I have much room for improvement. Looking for advice on what I can keep (if any) and what I should move towards.

I do a fair amount of gaming and software development. Since I've upgraded to Windows 10 from 7, my disks are constantly maxing out on Disk I/O. Doing large builds is a chore. I upgraded the original video card a couple years ago and that helped with gaming, but load times are pretty horrible.

Current system:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 - High Air Flow Mid Tower Computer Case
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb Quad-Core 3.2 GHz Socket AM3 125W
RAM: (8GB) - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
MB: MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
PS: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W
HDD: 2x (RAID 1) - WD Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
CPU Cooler - COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
OD - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROMDVD Burner

I'm leaning towards another AMD system. Would like at least 32GB RAM. Not sure if 2 sticks or 4 sticks matter, or if it's worth buying 2x 16 sticks and being able to upgrade to another two later. I am thinking I can reuse my current Graphics card for now. Motherboard will depend on processor, but leaning towards AMD Ryden 7 2700X and an x470 motherboard. Power supply I'm not sure. I think my current one has enough watts, but I don't know if age matters, or if newer supplies are going to be more efficient. I'm having a lot of disk slowness right now, so I'm assuming I need to move to one or more SSDs. Is it best to have a single one for the OS drive and other(s) for general purpose? I have my disks set up in RAID1 right now because at one point I lost a bunch of personal files to a drive burning out. I imagine I could port those disks over to the new system and just use them as storage. The case is a lot bigger than I originally wanted, but should be roomy enough to house everything.

New build thoughts:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU
RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
MB: ASRock x470 Taichi --or-- Asus x470 Rog Strix --or-- Asus x470 CH7 (non-WiFi)
PS: Reuse or get a new one, at least 750?
Storage: Really lost in this area.
CPU-Cooler: Probably depends on MB for height. Generally I don't like the stock coolers.
OD - Can probably just reuse what I have. I rarely use it.
Case - Probably fine with it, but I should replace a few fans, unless there are just obvious better options. The inside gets pretty dusty. Not sure I'm ready to make the jump to water cooling. It's going under a desk at this point, so don't care about aesthetics too much.

Most of the x470 boards I've been looking at have M.2 slots for SSDs, so I'm assuming drive(s) with that form factor would be ideal, but I've noticed that some of them appear to run at reduced speed in one of the slots due to sharing lanes with a neighboring PCIE slot? Will this impact performance or be negligible? I believe the Asus CH7 has both lanes running at full speed? Would prefer to stay under $200 unless something is going to make a big difference in quality/performance/etc.

I'll probably play around with some low to moderate overclocking, but nothing crazy.

Any thoughts, advice, feedback would be appreciated. As far as budget, I don't mind spending a little more to build something that is going to last awhile. Nothing crazy though. Thanks!

[Edit]
-Budget under $2,000 USD.
-Monitor, currently have an old 1920x1080, but would like to upgrade to a 27" or larger at some point. Probably upgrade to a 4K down the road.

trampus123

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
with a 2k budget you can go with a threadripper 2920x and a top end mobo like a asrock x399 taichi then move the ram to 4x 8gb sticks this will give you the 32gb you want with room to add more up to 128gb if need to. With software development you will want to extra ram and cpu cores and the extra SATA ports.
you will need a bigger PSU your GPU is good. and yes the ryzen 7 2700x is good as well I guess you need to look at the programs you use and how much ram to they need most programmer's know want lots of cores,ram and storage.

Nov 7, 2018
Thanks guys. Moving up to ThreadRipper platform seemed expensive, but I'll look into it.

Any recommendations on hard drives? Should I keep the OS by itself on a smaller SSD and get a larger SSD for my main storage, or does it matter?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Is there a specific reason to go for 4K? Gaming-wise, you generally need a brutally expensive video card to drive that resolution.

If you don't specifically need 4k, then maybe going 2560x1440 (if you want 16:9 aspect ratio), or (my favorite) ultrawide 21:9 aspect ratio would make 2560x1080, or 3440x1440 the way to go.

Your current video card will handle 2560x1080 or 1440 easy, but 3440x1440 is probably best done with a GTX 1080 or better.

BUT... Ultrawides are generally more expensive, and if you want Gsync, even more expensive still beyond that.

I am in full agreement with SgtScream, keep your 1070 with your current monitor, but when planning for the new monitor, when it comes to gaming, plan for a video card upgrade as well - even if you don't buy both at once. ie: when I upgraded to 3840x1600 (I would've gone maybe lesser resolution 21:9, but needed that width for work purposes), I ran games at 2560x1080 because my then GPU was brought to its knees gaming at the new monitor's native 3840x1600. Eventually I got a better video card.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
If that Corsair PSU is 9 years old like the rest of the system I would replace it. It was good in its day, but at 9 years its seen some wear.

I would NOT go threadripper, the 2700x is more than enough for your needs.

Personally I'm of the smaller M.2 NVMe drive nmindset with larger storage drives. Get yourself a Samsung 960 EVO 256 GB M.2 SSD as your boot drive, and then an 860 evo 1tb (they are so cheap right now) for games and software. Toss in whatever size HDD you like for storage and youre set.

If you use the HAF 922 you have plenty of room for this, I had a similar system before and just sold mine. Its a good case but a bit dated, you can't see your cool new parts, but it does have a good cooling setup nothing really wrong with it. The large 200mm fan you can mount to the side panel will keep everything very cool.

Nov 7, 2018
My computer case is going to be stuck under a desk for awhile, so may just go with the same case. Thanks for the SSD tips, that helps. I'll look at a new Power Supply as well. No use waiting for it to die.