[SOLVED] Help Upgrading HP 15-BA079DX Wifi Card & Storage

PiVO 7717

Reputable
Aug 18, 2019
I was thinking to upgrade some things on my HP 15-BA079DX, to be precise the wifi card and the ssd storage so for the wifi card I'm thinking an Intel Wireless-AC 9560 or an Intel Wireless-AC 9260 but I don't know which one would be better, also I don't know what type of antenna could be connected to the card and if the antenna is similar to the one I already have. I suppose I could use the existing antenna for the wifi but wouldn't I need another one for the bluetooth? I'm quite confused about the bluetooth as you could see lol, if I need another antenna for the bluetooth can anybody tell which type of antenna it is so I could put it inside in the other side of the top-left of the screen?

The plan with the SSD is to install a new 500Gb SSD SATA 3 and use the current storage as a secondary storage using a caddy on the CD-ROM, there is no problem with the installation I just need to know if I'm going to be able to use the full 6Gb/s of a SATA 3 when the storage SATA 1 (specs says 1 tb yet mine came with a SSD 500Gb.) Would I get the benefits of a SATA 3, the ones from a SATA 1 or maybe a little bit better than a SATA 1? Is the motherboard capable of assimilate the SATA 3?

I know the questions are not that easy and this more than a question looks like a chapter lol but I would be very glad if somebody can guide me or point me in the right direction... Thank you

Product number
W2M88UA
Product name
HP Notebook - 15-ba079dx (Touch) (ENERGY STAR)
Microprocessor
AMD Quad-Core A10-9600P (2.4 GHz, up to 3.3 GHz, 2 MB cache)
Memory, standard
6 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 2 GB, 1 x 4 GB)
Video graphics
AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
Hard drive
1 TB 5400 rpm SATA
[10,11]
Optical drive
SuperMulti DVD burner
Display
15.6" diagonal HD SVA WLED-backlit touch screen (1366 x 768)
Keyboard
Full-size island-style with numeric keypad
Pointing device
Touchpad with multi-touch gesture support
Wireless connectivity
802.11b/g/n (1x1)
Network interface
Integrated 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet LAN
Expansion slots
1 microSD media card reader
External ports
1 USB 3.0; 2 USB 2.0; 1 HDMI; 1 RJ-45; 1 headphone/microphone combo
Minimum dimensions (W x D x H)
38.43 x 25.46 x 2.43 cm
Weight
2.15 kg
Power supply type
45 W AC power adapter
Battery type
3-cell, 31 Wh Li-ion
Webcam
HP TrueVision HD Webcam (front-facing) with integrated digital microphone
Audio features
DTS Studio Sound™ with 2 speakers

B 5400 rpm SATA
[10,11]
Optical drive
SuperMulti DVD burner
Display
15.6" diagonal HD SVA WLED-backlit touch screen (1366 x 768)
Keyboard
Full-size island-style with numeric keypad
Pointing device
Touchpad with multi-touch gesture support
Wireless connectivity
802.11b/g/n (1x1)
Network interface
Integrated 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet LAN
Expansion slots
1 microSD media card reader
External ports
1 USB 3.0; 2 USB 2.0; 1 HDMI; 1 RJ-45; 1 headphone/microphone combo
Minimum dimensions (W x D x H)
38.43 x 25.46 x 2.43 cm
Weight
2.15 kg
Power supply type
45 W AC power adapter
Battery type
3-cell, 31 Wh Li-ion
Webcam
HP TrueVision HD Webcam (front-facing) with integrated digital microphone
Audio features
DTS Studio Sound™ with 2 speakers

Solution
With regard to your WiFi/Bluetooth choices, that's precisely what both are - a combined card that handles both WiFi and Bluetooth.

Based on the specs these devices are virtually identical, except for their system interface type. You'd want to match the interface type that your system currently has.

What you need to remember, though, is when it comes to WiFi everything is in a chain, and your speeds will only be as good as the weakest link in said chain. I've seen people get the latest and greatest WiFi card with dual-band Wireless AC in homes where their modem-router is a decade or more old and has Wireless-N as its technology. If the objective here is gaining speed then you need to look beyond your computer to your network...

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
With regard to your WiFi/Bluetooth choices, that's precisely what both are - a combined card that handles both WiFi and Bluetooth.

Based on the specs these devices are virtually identical, except for their system interface type. You'd want to match the interface type that your system currently has.

What you need to remember, though, is when it comes to WiFi everything is in a chain, and your speeds will only be as good as the weakest link in said chain. I've seen people get the latest and greatest WiFi card with dual-band Wireless AC in homes where their modem-router is a decade or more old and has Wireless-N as its technology. If the objective here is gaining speed then you need to look beyond your computer to your network topography as a whole. If you don't have a modem-router that supports Wireless AC you'll gain little to nothing (probably nothing, but if your modem-router supports N-600 and your current card N-150 you could gain a little).

Solution