Question HELP UPGRADING PC FOR RECORDING WHILE PLAYING

liquidtruth

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
As the title implies - I'm trying to upgrade my PC to play with moderate to high graphics while recording video / continuing editing on the side.

My current PC is not too bad, just becoming a bit dated and bloated.
I'm not against recycling any decent parts, but I am certainly trying to make my overall performance on the pc a bit - smoother / quicker.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/d7w73t
Is my current set up.

Ralston18

Titan
What software products will be used to do the recording and editing?

Check the software's listed hardware requirements.

Most software provides a listing in the form of "minimal", "recommended", and "best".

You do not want minimal and you do want as much best as possible.

What is your budget?

liquidtruth

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
From what I have gathered - mostly OBS and adobe audition coupled with the running games.

My current budget is about 1.5k, but as stated if at all possible i'm not against tossing any useful parts from my current rig into the new one, but not sure if that is a possibility.
A couple other places arent even recommending I upgrade exactly - and I'm curious if maybe a better motherboard and a format w/ ssd's would be a better option at the moment.

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
You can use Nvidia's encoder, to record through OBS. $3k is definitely enough for an entirely new rig, keep in mind that Intel, AMD, and Nvidia are all releasing new gen stuff, this year yet. If you don't want to wait, you do have some good upgrade options, on your current platform.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Honestly, going to an SSD and a full wipe and OS install and only then evaluating your needs would be the best approach, I feel. Getting "bloated" isn't a normal function of PC aging, but usually an OS cleanliness issue, so a faster drive and a good spring cleaning might resolve some of your issues and allow you to save PC funds for the future.

If you still chose to upgrade your PC, well, an SSD is going to work in a new build as well as your current one, so no money would be wasted by taking the careful approach.