Question Help upgrading PC (itx build)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ma3wa

Commendable
Aug 8, 2018
Hi!

So im thinking of replacing my motherboard, cpu and memory in my current chassi (because one is probably not working properly).

Specs:
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Chassi: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
PSU: OCZ ModXStream PRO 500W
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz, Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24) (2x2 GB dual + 4 GB)
Motherboard: MSI P67A-C45 (MS-7673) (SOCKET 0)
Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX 770 (2047MB)
Storage:1863GB Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 ATA Device (SATA )

I have had plans for building a smaller itx computer (never built a pc before). I also have an m2 SSD laying around which i would like to install.
I though maybe i could ease into it by buying an itx motherboard (+ new cpu and memory) and installing it into my current chassi. Then later i could buy an itx chassi and replace the other components.

This is the mobo im planning on getting: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITXac/#Specification
Not sure on which memory (probably corsair vengeance) or which ryzen cpu.

So here are my questions:

Will i be able to keep my gpu and fit it into the above motherboard? The mobo seems to fit my chassi: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/coolermaster/comments/4t7nu7/does_the_haf_912_plus_support_mini_itx_mbs/?ref=share&ref_source=embed&utm_content=title&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_name=521ad74c6fcf44f0915da2c9e54c53d4&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=4t7nu7

Just double checking that my Samsung 960 EVO intern M.2 SSD (250 GB) fits and will work well with this mobo?

How "hard" would this be, most cable work is already done but im guessing it wont just look the same when it comes to connectors/cables?

ma3wa

Commendable
Aug 8, 2018
This is what im thinking of atm. If anyone have any other thoughs or suggestions please let me know, , i will probably place an order later this week :)

CPU: Intel Core i5-11400 2.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (1649 kr @ Netonnet or 1439 @ proshop/webhallen, if i can get the promo to work)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i chromax.black (599 kr @ Proshop.se)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B560-I (1890 kr or 1512 kr ^^ @ Proshop.se)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Black DDR4 3600MHz 2x8GB (955 kr @ Amazon.se)
Total: 4505-5093 kr

Also considering the Intel Core i5 11600KF 3,9GHz for an additional 720 kr, is it worth it? I dont seem to be able to OC the cpu with the mentioned board?
I can also get the Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB for 871 kr but the crucial is newer and seems have better OC/cooling and 3600Mhz?

Last edited:

ma3wa

Commendable
Aug 8, 2018
Replace the PSU too. That OCZ is an outdated, low quality PSU with bad voltage regulation for nowadays hardware.

11600KF is not worth it and the performance of the L9i is hardly enough for a 11600KF.
Im planning to do this when buying/building in the itx chassis (fractal design node 202, will likely complement with additional fans aswell). I know its quite bad. Just a bit too much for me to do all at once (never built a pc). How long can i "get by" on my old PSU? Is there any major downsides ?

Last edited:
Im planning to do this when buying/building in the itx chassis (fractal design node 202, will likely complement with additional fans aswell). I know its quite bad. Just a bit too much for me to do all at once (never built a pc). How long can i "get by" on my old PSU? Is there any major downsides ?
You can most likely get by on your old PSU for a while. Old PSUs are fickle and may work fine for another decade, or may damage your components in 1 week. This is why with new builds we recommend new PSUs especially if the old one was not in the upper tier of PSUs at the time when you got it. Its a relatively small gamble considering your use case and parts selection.

Reactions: avg9956
True
Just skimming through the thread, I can't find the age of your PSU.
How old is your current PSU?
When you choose a new PSU, you're basically trusting your entire PC's lifeline to that of the PSU. Whichever new one you choose, don't cheap out on it.
It is usually the case that "you get what you pay for"

Reactions: helper800

ma3wa

Commendable
Aug 8, 2018
Definitely go for a replacement then past the 10 year mark, but kudos to your PSU that's still running after a decade old.
I also have one too that's over a decade old and still running. Thermaltake Tough power XT875W. Already bought a replacement for it.
You guys are probably right, might as well bite the bullet and get a new psu just to be safe. For the node 202 itx build (or similar chassis), there are limited choices. Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum (1 449 kr) and Fractal Design Ion SFX-L Gold 500 W or 650 W (860-1050 kr) may be good? Again lower noise would be prefered and price closer to about 1000 kr. I think maybe SFX rather than SFX-L would be better if i decide on an even smaller case than node 202 or get one after several years. Also 600-650W may be needed if i get a better gpu after several years?

I dont know if i mentioned this but my currect pc started failing in games after i cleaned it (link to post) so getting new parts will hopefully solve this and i also want an upgrade original build (new gpu + memory since). Maybe i can fix my old pc later and sell it, or the working components seperately. Would be easier to afford the psu this way. Thoughts?

Last edited:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11400 2.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (kr1990.00 @ CDON SE)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Shuriken 2 41.3 CFM CPU Cooler (kr391.83 @ Amazon Sweden)
Motherboard: ASRock H570M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1200 Motherboard (kr1557.00 @ Proshop)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (kr871.00 @ Amazon Sweden)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion SFX-L 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (kr1197.00 @ Proshop)
Total: kr6006.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-06 17:52 CEST+0200

Still within your stated 6000Kr budget
(Couldn't find the Strix B560-I on PCPP)

ma3wa

Commendable
Aug 8, 2018
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11400 2.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (kr1990.00 @ CDON SE)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Shuriken 2 41.3 CFM CPU Cooler (kr391.83 @ Amazon Sweden)
Motherboard: ASRock H570M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1200 Motherboard (kr1557.00 @ Proshop)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (kr871.00 @ Amazon Sweden)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion SFX-L 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (kr1197.00 @ Proshop)
Total: kr6006.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-06 17:52 CEST+0200

Still within your stated 6000Kr budget
(Couldn't find the Strix B560-I on PCPP)
Nice. May be the way to go for me but the Crucial Ballistix Black DDR4 3600MHz are only about 80 kr extra right now on proshop so might aswell get these 3600 Mhz over vengeance (also prefer the design of the crucial) 5106 kr + 1050 (PSU)

Just saw this review which said the fractal PSU "could be quieter", maybe i would be better off with corsair, evga or bequiet?

Would i need to redo all the cable management if i get the new PSU? And does it fit inside my current atx case, without much fiddling around? if there will be alot of extra work i might just get the node 202 case right away but would prefer waiting a while. I guess there is no downside of keeping my case (will probably be cooler in the meantime untill i can get new fans ect.)

Last edited:
Just saw this review which said the fractal PSU "could be quieter", maybe i would be better off with corsair, evga or bequiet?
That is most likely when they were taxing the PSU to near 100% use of the 650 watts provided. The fans on PSUs are generally almost inaudible until usage really gets up over 50-70%. In your use case the PSU will almost never hit 60% usage until you get a bigger more power hungry GPU.

Reactions: ma3wa
If I'm reading the thread right, OP wants to build a ITX/SFF build and upgrade his existing mid tower build.

Just my supplemental thoughts:
For the ITX/SFF build:

I find it hard to fathom for Small form factor builds to use anything above 300W or do overclock (unless you aim to do that, but its quite odd as it is usually done on mid tower builds or larger). PSU Fan will only start spinning when it hits certain load levels as mentioned above. Also consider airflow of the smaller case. Due to how small your available space is already in the case, a component that overheats can easily heat the rest if there is poor or no airflow. It depends on the SFF case' design but generally as long as there's good air flow to cool all your components, you can rest be assured that your SFF build will last significantly.

if i decide on an even smaller case than node 202 or get one after several years. Also 600-650W may be needed if i get a better gpu after several years?

Also keep in mind the horizontal GPU Clearance too. The smaller the case gets (if you're going for small form factor builds), the less likely it is to fit "better GPUs" as you ascribed which may have 3 fans. Smaller case can stop you from getting a better GPU if it does not fit. Small cases were never meant to be power house PC builds. If going for better GPUs is your goal after several years, I would rather focus on upgrading your existing mid tower build. Better GPUs tend to be more powerful too and produce more heat output, doubtful if the thermals would be manageable at smaller chassis with said better GPUs.

ATX cases usually have 11 to 13 inches of horizontal clearance for GPUs

As for ITX/SFF case since they can vary wildly by design and I don't personally use them or plan to, you would have to check the specifications of those smaller cases from the manufacturer website.

However if you're not going for the ITX/SFF build right away, it would be more logical to focus on your mid tower build. Your current chassis as stated in your 1st post is HAF 912 Plus, which is a mid tower. Cable management is generally easier as well on larger cases as there is more room to work with.

Would i need to redo all the cable management if I get the new PSU?
You will need to do cable management if you change chassis and/or change PSUs, so yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: ma3wa and helper800
but the Crucial Ballistix Black DDR4 3600MHz are only about 80 kr extra right now on proshop so might aswell get these 3600 Mhz over vengeance....[and other stated upgrades]
You have the luxury to electively extend your stated kr6000 budget, we do not.

Would i need to redo all the cable management if i get the new PSU? And does it fit inside my current atx case, without much fiddling around?
You'll need to remove the current PSU and its associated cables from your current case and run the new PSU cables in. SFX PSUs typically come with an ATX adapter bracket, so you're good there. You're pretty much replacing everything here, so your case is going to end up stripped down to the bare case before you put the new mobo in.

if there will be alot of extra work i might just get the node 202 case right away
Your current case is going to have to be stripped empty before starting this build anyway. Just getting the Node 202 now would be the best choice IMO. Keeping the current case just doubles your build efforts by requiring a second disassembly/reassembly step when you get the Node 202. (Smartly) buying a new PSU right away has removed that reasoning to postpone the case purchase, so the only reason you have left is the cost of the new case, which is relatively inexpensive compared to the other hardware you're buying.

Reactions: ma3wa and helper800
I find it hard to fathom for Small form factor builds to use anything above 300W or do overclock (unless you aim to do that, but its quite odd as it is usually done on mid tower builds or larger).

Small cases were never meant to be power house PC builds.
Ehhhh, these are outdated misconceptions. While yes, you can [efficiently] cool much more power-hungry hardware in a larger case that affords more/larger fans, the "average" gaming PC can be handled just fine inside a mITX case. It will generally cost you more for the benefit of size reduction of course.
Also consider airflow of the smaller case. Due to how small your available space is already in the case, a component that overheats can easily heat the rest if there is poor or no airflow. It depends on the SFF case' design but generally as long as there's good air flow to cool all your components, you can rest be assured that your SFF build will last significantly.

Also keep in mind the horizontal GPU Clearance too. The smaller the case gets (if you're going for small form factor builds), the less likely it is to fit "better GPUs" as you ascribed which may have 3 fans. Smaller case can stop you from getting a better GPU if it does not fit.

As for ITX/SFF case since they can vary wildly by design and I don't personally use them or plan to, you would have to check the specifications of those smaller cases from the manufacturer website.
Yes, mITX builds require careful planning. In this situation, the only carryover is going to be storage(?) and GPU. So those are the only components that need verification.
If going for better GPUs is your goal after several years, I would rather focus on upgrading your existing mid tower build. Better GPUs tend to be more powerful too and produce more heat output, doubtful if the thermals would be manageable at smaller chassis with said better GPUs.

ATX cases usually have 11 to 13 inches of horizontal clearance for GPUs

However if you're not going for the ITX/SFF build right away, it would be more logical to focus on your mid tower build.
This sounds counterproductive to the OPs stated goals and probably more implanting YOUR personal preference.

Last edited:
Reactions: ma3wa

ma3wa

Commendable
Aug 8, 2018
Maybe i should have been more clear what my goals are for this new pc or upgrade. I wont be needing massive gaming performance, right now i only play some leauge. However it would be nice to play at highest settings (this game is not very demanding and more cpu heavy as i understand it). Also interested to start playing some forza horizon 4 (w. sony/xbox controller) and maybe overwatch. I understand that larger cases are better for this since they are generally significantly cooler, however that does not mean it cant be good with the right components ive seen gaming node 202 builds with more powerful components (which likely produce more heat) which are running at low enough temps.

But gaming will not necessarily be my primary use. I will be buying a new 4K TV and a home theatre system (thereof limited budget) which i would need the pc to support fully so i can download, watch or stream movies and music from it. HDCP 2.2 seems to be a thing here, not quite sure what it means yet but from this source it seems to be supported from the b560i mobo: https://www.reddit.com/r/htpc/wiki/hdmi20
Which brings me to my secound question, if i understand it correctly i would not get acces to the newer hdmi/displayport (4k at 60hz, HDR10+, dolby vision ect.) without inbuilt iGPU? This is the last part im confused about, if i should to go with the F or non-F intel board?

The portability option would be appreciated for future work and productivity. Also the smaller case would take up less space and allow for a more clean look at home.
As stated previously stability and durablity are important aswell.

Last edited:

ma3wa

Commendable
Aug 8, 2018
Have you looked at the Fractal Design Era ITX case?
Yes, i like the design however several reviews stated they really missed the mark when it comes to heat buildup. Also its about twice the price of the node 202. I did look at the
Raijintek Ophion aswell, althought i dont like how the glass sides stick out and leave an open gap. I would really like a front usb-c connector thought. There does not seem to be an optimal case right now for me, thats also why i would like to wait if a better suited one gets released.

Last edited:
Yes, i like the design however several reviews stated they really missed the mark when it comes to heat buildup. Also its about twice the price of the node 202. I did look at the
Raijintek Ophion aswell, althought this is a bit too big for an itx case and i dont really like how the glass sides stick out and leave an open gap. I would really like a front usb-c connector thought. I do like the console type htpc look. There does not seem to be an optimal case right now for me, thats also why i would like to wait if a better suited one gets released.
np, sounds like you've done your homework!

Which brings me to my secound question, if i understand it correctly i would not get acces to the newer hdmi/displayport (4k at 60hz, HDR10+, dolby vision ect.) without inbuilt iGPU? This is the last part im confused about, if i should to go with the F or non-F intel board?
Intel CPUs with an "F" suffix signify they do not have an IGP enabled. Meaning, (similar to AMD CPUs without a "G" suffix), even though the mobo may have display outputs, you'll get no display until you connect a discrete GPU (graphics card)

ma3wa

Commendable
Aug 8, 2018
So ive done some rethinking after all these post. Ill probably go for the Fractal Design Nano S or maybe Cooler Master NR200P instead of the node for the following reasons:
  1. Better thermals (although bigger footprint)
  2. Easier to work/build inside (especially since im new to this) and no need to buy extra fans (included)
  3. Dust filter on the outside (wont have to open the case as much)
  4. Better noise isolation
  5. More component options (full size cpu fan and atx psu option)
The downsides would be no usb-c connector on the front and not as compact case. Will the mobo front usb-c be"lost"? Also if the chassis front usb is of a lower version then on the mobo would i still be able to get the newer?

Would appreciate new component suggestions :)

Edit: just found that the Raijintek Ophion can be had without the tempered glass. This would be perfect for me although i can only find it for the evo version and it costs a bit too much extra

Last edited:

ma3wa

Commendable
Aug 8, 2018
Intel CPUs with an "F" suffix signify they do not have an IGP enabled. Meaning, (similar to AMD CPUs without a "G" suffix), even though the mobo may have display outputs, you'll get no display until you connect a discrete GPU (graphics card)
So if i understand correctly i would not be able to use the mobo hdmi/displayports with the intel 11400F. If i want the newer hmdi i should go for the Intel Core i5-11400.

After watching this video it seems i would also need HDPC 2.2 support from the mobo (and cpu?). Does anyone know if the Asus ROG Strix B560-I Gaming WiFi / Intel Core i5-11400 does support this? I could not find this info so if anyone knows more about this pleas let me know