[SOLVED] Help upgrading PC

Aug 12, 2020
Hello, I've been looking for parts to upgrade my current gaming pc because it's not enough for me anymore.

First of all, I want to upgrade my current processor. My i3-8100 can't handle newer games anymore. When I play games such as Fortnite, Warzone, Forza Horizon, the audio glitches out and I can't hear anything in-game or in discord. I believe that it's bottlenecking my system.

From watching videos I figured out at AMD Ryzen 7 3700x would be the best price-performance processor and would be better for the future since it has more cores and threads than Intel i7-9700k. I'm also not sure if the extra $30 for 3800x is worth it instead of 3700x.
I'm also open to save up more and buy an i9-9900k if it's really worth the extra bucks. I'm not a streamer or an editor. I play video games and I like recording and editing highlights sometimes.

Choosing an AMD processor would require me to buy a new motherboard, but I learned that I wouldn't need to upgrade my motherboard next time if I stick with AMD. Also, motherboards for Intel are a lot more expensive if I were to save up for i9-9900k.

I'm thinking of upgrading my graphics card to an RTX 2070 Super in the future, but I believe that I need a new processor before buying another graphics card.

My current gaming pc:
  • Intel i3-8100
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan)
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16gb 3200mhz C16
  • Asus Z370-A Pro
  • Seagate Firecude 1tb SSHD
  • Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1tb SSD (I don't know if my motherboard even bottlenecks the SSD if someone could clarify)
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
  • EVGA 500 B1, 80+ Bronze 500W
I'm open to recommendations, anything is helpful.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I would change out the processor, the PSU and the GPU. That should net you the most returns from the platform. We will need a budget and I'd stick to an i7 not an i9. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update before dropping in any upgrades(processor wise).

Lutfij

Titan

I would change out the processor, the PSU and the GPU. That should net you the most returns from the platform. We will need a budget and I'd stick to an i7 not an i9. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update before dropping in any upgrades(processor wise).

Solution
Aug 12, 2020
Hello, I was asking for advice on the systems topic for upgrading my current computer.
The guy recommended me to upgrade current my PSU which I had never thought about before. Does PSU really affect your system that much, what does the PSU effect?

Aug 12, 2020

Wouldn't the AMD cpu better for future, also what would the psu do, I don't really know about them?

Hello, I was asking for advice on the systems topic for upgrading my current computer.
The guy recommended me to upgrade current my PSU which I had never thought about before. Does PSU really affect your system that much, what does the PSU effect?
If the PSU fails in a certain way it can ruin every other component in your system.
This is why it is important to use a quality unit.
....and if it doesn't have sufficient power and stable voltages...it will cause crashes.

Aug 12, 2020
If the PSU fails in a certain way it can ruin every other component in your system.
This is why it is important to use a quality unit.
....and if it doesn't have sufficient power and stable voltages...it will cause crashes.
Would you say my psu is bad, I never thought of upgrading it.