[SOLVED] Help upgrading PC

markito331

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
Hi, i have currently an intel i5 6500, paired with a nvidia gtx 1060, 16gb ram DDR4 (i think 2000~ speed), a 250gb ssd + 500gb HDD, with a b150m pro-vdh mother.

I have a budget of 400$ (u$s, EEUU dolars)

I play mostly LoL, used to play Overwatch, CS:GO, Dota 2, Valorant, etc. Mostly competitive games.

I have a 144hz 1ms monitor, so, in some games i almost don't reach 144fps (or very tight) even at minimum graphic settings(Valorant for example).

Having in consideration my $400 budget, is it worth upgrading something? would i get bottlencked if upgraded graphics? does my mother support let's say GTX 2060/2070 ?

Should i keep what i have (the current CPU), and keep saving money for when i need a real upgrade? (maybe buying a new PC from scratch)

Feel free to ask for more detailed info.

Thanks for your help.

Solution
Whats your cpu and GPU usage when playing these games?

If the cpu or gpu is pegged at 100% then that's what will be causing your issue

Since you mainly play lol I think your gpu should be sufficient for now. I feel your cpu is probably hitting its limits trying to push out that many frames per second.
The gpu can only push out as many frames as the CPU can pre-render. The 4 cores may be fine for targeting 60fps but the extra work it needs to do for 144 fps may start to tax it too much.

My 2 cents would be to do a platform upgrade either intel or ryzen minimum 6 c 12t. (This means new mobo and cpu minimum)

Those old 4 core cpus are are starting to struggle a bit.

Intel is still king for gaming but AMD' s new 5000 series looks...

sgnz

Commendable
Apr 19, 2019
Whats your cpu and GPU usage when playing these games?

If the cpu or gpu is pegged at 100% then that's what will be causing your issue

Since you mainly play lol I think your gpu should be sufficient for now. I feel your cpu is probably hitting its limits trying to push out that many frames per second.
The gpu can only push out as many frames as the CPU can pre-render. The 4 cores may be fine for targeting 60fps but the extra work it needs to do for 144 fps may start to tax it too much.

My 2 cents would be to do a platform upgrade either intel or ryzen minimum 6 c 12t. (This means new mobo and cpu minimum)

Those old 4 core cpus are are starting to struggle a bit.

Intel is still king for gaming but AMD' s new 5000 series looks promising so I would advise to wait until that launches to upgrade.

As for gpu upgrade if you really want to upgrade I'd reccomend a 3070 (if you can get one)
Or wait for big navi next month.
You will need a good quality psu like the corsair rmx 650 gold + to handle these gpus so keep that in mind.

Hope this info is useful :)

Last edited:
Solution

sgnz

Commendable
Apr 19, 2019
Is you ram dual channel (2 sticks)
I noticed your ram speeds seem slow? Maybe its 2666mhz? If you do plan to upgrade to a new platform i would advise on a minimum of 3200mhz dual channel ram especially if you choose ryzen

markito331

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
Is you ram dual channel (2 sticks)
I noticed your ram speeds seem slow? Maybe its 2666mhz? If you do plan to upgrade to a new platform i would advise on a minimum of 3200mhz dual channel ram especially if you choose ryzen
Yes, it is dual channel 2x8gb

What does ram matter here?

For clarification, i'm not whinning about not reaching constant 144fps.

I'm just asking for general recommendations on upgrading.

sgnz

Commendable
Apr 19, 2019
Ram speeds and configuration can be important I was just querying to help give you the best help. I made no mention of you whining so sorry if I offended you :)

I myself like to get the most out of my components and want my 144hz monitor to perform to its potential.

Read my 1st post and let me know your cpu/ gpu usages whilst playing these games.

Personally in my opinion your cpu is holding you back a better gpu wouldn't necessarily improve your fps.

So short story do a full platform upgrade (cpu + motherboard) maybe save up a bit more to do this.

Again hope this helps :)

Last edited:

sgnz

Commendable
Apr 19, 2019
That's a bit weird having cpu usage that high just with chrome and discord!

What is it like in an idle state?

For an upgrade there would be no point to invest any more money in your current platform as the best you could get is a 7700k which is lacking in cores and threads 4/8. Besides from that buying one of these is very expensive!

I would reccomend a new motherboard and cpu but would advise to wait until the new 5000 series amd is released to see performance compared to intel 10th gen.

A new psu may be needed aswell depending on the quality of the ine you own now.

I'm not sure how prices are from where you live so I cant reccomend anything in particular but if you want to buy now anything amd 3600 > would be good with new motherboard.

Likewise with intel a new motherboard plus a 10600k.

The motherboard for both is generally up to you depending on if you plan to overclock or not.
A new cpu cooler may also be needed to keep thermals down on cpu.

I know this is alot of information for you to deal with so if you have any ideas on cpu/ motherboards I would be happy to check them out and see if I reckon they are good.

markito331

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
AmFO4nom.jpg