Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
Mobo : Dell optiplex 790 MT
Pcu: Intel i7-2600 @ 3.4 ghz
GPU: Invidia Geforce GTX1050 Ti
PSU: corsair 550W
Ram: 16GB DDR2

I want to upgrade my system but don't know where to start. All I really want to do is be able to run modern pc games on 1080p. It seems to struggle a bit with games like NBA 2k21. I also only have about a $350 budget. I was hoping with black friday and all maybe that would be enough. Let me know what you think.

Solution
Over budget by about 80 bucks if you have a decent power supply.

You can run Windows 10 for free, reuse your current drive for extra storage, would need to keep the 1050ti but it would set you up to just needing a video card (and probably a power supply) when the prices come close to normal.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor | $164.99 @ Best Buy
CPU Cooler | Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 Blue 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler | $18.98 @ Amazon
Motherboard | Asus PRIME B560M-A Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard | $84.99 @ Amazon
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $59.99 @ Newegg...
Unfortunately it's not a great time to upgrade because GPU price's are completely insane. Even cards like your 1050 Ti are not cheap these days. For me the only upgrade option is a new CPU, mobo and ram. PC wise I wouldn't upgrade to anything less than 6 cores. Cheapest 6 core option right now is the i5 10400F. Your budget could get you (amazon):
i5 10400F $172.95
Teamgroup T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000 $54.99
MSI MAG B460M Bazooka $119.12

That's $347.06 but leaves you without a GPU upgrade. I don't know what games you would want to play but honestly, given the GPU situation and your limited budget the gaming experience of an Xbox One S is unbeatable.

If that's not something you would consider then early next year Intel's lower end Alder lake (12th generation) parts will become available. Given how powerful Alder Lake is your likely to get far more bang for your buck in terms of CPU performance at that time. As getting a GPU at MSRP is practically impossible right now I really don't know what to suggest in that regard :( and any Ryzen CPU's with integrated GPU's will not surpass your 1050 Ti.

In terms of your NBA game, do you know what's struggling, the CPU or GPU?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Mobo : Dell optiplex 790 MT
Pcu: Intel i7-2600 @ 3.4 ghz
GPU: Invidia Geforce GTX1050 Ti
PSU: corsair 550W
Ram: 16GB DDR2

I want to upgrade my system but don't know where to start. All I really want to do is be able to run modern pc games on 1080p. It seems to struggle a bit with games like NBA 2k21. I also only have about a $350 budget. I was hoping with black friday and all maybe that would be enough. Let me know what you think.
What exact power supply do you have?

If it's the old CX green label or VS it needs to go probably.

Last edited:
Yes I noticed you replaced the Dell PSU so you don't need any adapters for a new motherboard so that's good. CPU wise the 10400F is roughly 45% faster per core and twice as fast when all cores/threads are used so it would be a big upgrade from what you have. It really depends on timing, do you want to buy now, or are you happy to wait.

Sometime early next year there will be better CPU options available that will be a significant upgrade over what's available now. However if your buying now then I'd recommend an i5 10400F or i5 11400F. Please note the F sku's don't have iGPU's which is why they are cheaper but don't see why that should be an issue in your case.

Also I've used the example of the MSI Mag B460M Bazooka there to fit into your budget. The MSI Mag B460M Mortar is a really nice budget board if you want something slightly more fancy.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Unfortunately it's not a great time to upgrade because GPU price's are completely insane. Even cards like your 1050 Ti are not cheap these days. For me the only upgrade option is a new CPU, mobo and ram. PC wise I wouldn't upgrade to anything less than 6 cores. Cheapest 6 core option right now is the i5 10400F. Your budget could get you (amazon):
i5 10400F $172.95
Teamgroup T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000 $54.99
MSI MAG B460M Bazooka $119.12

That's $347.06 but leaves you without a GPU upgrade. I don't know what games you would want to play but honestly, given the GPU situation and your limited budget the gaming experience of an Xbox One S is unbeatable.

If that's not something you would consider then early next year Intel's lower end Alder lake (12th generation) parts will become available. Given how powerful Alder Lake is your likely to get far more bang for your buck in terms of CPU performance at that time. As getting a GPU at MSRP is practically impossible right now I really don't know what to suggest in that regard :( and any Ryzen CPU's with integrated GPU's will not surpass your 1050 Ti.

In terms of your NBA game, do you know what's struggling, the CPU or GPU?
Probably has the dell case that can also be a problem.

Yes I think he does, didn't think that would be an issue as long as it was an mATX board but I've not rebuilt in an Optiplex myself but I know lots of people do it. So potentially another $50-$60 for a new case then should his current one prove insufficient.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

You can run Windows 10 for free, reuse your current drive for extra storage, would need to keep the 1050ti but it would set you up to just needing a video card (and probably a power supply) when the prices come close to normal.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Motherboard | Asus PRIME B560M-A Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard | $84.99 @ Amazon
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $59.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $52.99 @ Amazon
Case | Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case | $49.98 @ Newegg
Case Fan | ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan | $7.00 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $438.92
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-26 20:29 EST-0500 |

EDIT or right about on budget but I would really try for the above.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $59.99 @ Newegg
| Total | $366.95
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-26 20:34 EST-0500 |

Solution

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Storage | Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $52.99 @ Amazon
| Total | $438.92
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-26 20:29 EST-0500 |

EDIT or right about on budget but I would really try for the above.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
| Total | $366.95
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-26 20:34 EST-0500 |

Your prices look much better, I don't live in the US so I just went to Amazon, also don't seem to have much stock of anything :/

Due to how screwed up the GPU market currently is, I would strongly recommend waiting it out for the Ryzen 6000G series some time next year which should be a decent upgrade for both your CPU and GPU at the same time..

I really like this idea, I just don't know how long you'd have to wait for one and what the availability would be like. I should imagine any modern CPU with a powerful iGPU would sell quickly.

InvalidError

Titan
I really like this idea, I just don't know how long you'd have to wait for one and what the availability would be like. I should imagine any modern CPU with a powerful iGPU would sell quickly.
The 5600G appears to be plenty available at MSRP or less, though there isn't much of a point getting one of those when you already own a GTX1050 or better.

What the low-end can be most optimistic about going into 2022 is that new high-end parts will be migrating to 5/6nm, which means there will be more wafers to spare on 7/8nm to make smaller lower-end parts that are also less desirable for mining. With some luck, the RX6500, RTX3050 and Intel's equivalent might not be too outlandishly priced.

It is yes but it seems to me it's more in the territory of the 1030 so it's not really viable for current games. If the other ones were a lot better it made me wonder if there would be much more demand for them. I guess you cant mine on an iGPU so hopefully you'll be able to get hold of them. Hopefully that's the case with the lower end GPU's and Intel's release will be interesting but we'll see I guess.

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
Its mainly my processor I want to upgrade anyway.. I definitely dont have enough money for new gpu and pcu. My processor is the main thing holding me back from playing some modern games.

Idc about 4k resolution and all that since I'm using a HD samsung tv as a monitor >.<

thank you for all your advice it has definitly helped

That makes sense. If your on a super strict budget and you really want something now then either of those i5's, otherwise wait until next year and see what the new ones bring. I'm doing a 10400F build for my brother at the moment and I've used the chip in my system for a couple of weeks. It will do a good job at just about anything right now, certainly NBA and FIFA would be easy pickings for it.

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
How long will the 10400 be viable for tho.. is it worth the investment right now?

It seems I can run most titles right now. not 100% on it tho. only game I cant seem to run so far is nba 2k21 and it seems poorly optimized for the PC.

Well that's a difficult question to answer because it really depends on what games you want to play and what performance you find acceptable. I tested the 10400F with a Nvidia 3080. Generally virtually all modern titles will run at 60FPS or more on the 10400F. The only exception I've come across is Cyberpunk 2077 with all of the graphics and ray tracing maxed out + max crowd size. With the latter it will do 60FPS most of the time but will not be able to hold it in the most demanding areas, with that being said though I found the experience still very enjoyable and I would be happy to play the game if it were my CPU. I would basically say the performance was good but not perfect, that however is the most demanding game currently available on PC and an unrealistic GPU pairing. Certain settings like crowd size and ray tracing have a significant effect on the CPU demands.

It's a very capable CPU today, if you want to play Call of Duty Vanguard, Battlefield 2042, Cyberpunk then it can do all that fairly comfortably. It will run the next iteration of these games too, but I just don't know how well and when they will be released.

If an upgrade is not urgent, then the i5 12400F may be released in January at $200. The 12400F will probably be around 50% faster in raw performance terms, this will probably translate into 30-50% in games depending on the game. The more powerful the chip you get the longer you can go before you need to upgrade again. How important that is does depend on your use case, for example my brothers needs are more modest than mine, the most demanding games I would expect he plays are Halo Infinite and Battlefield 2042. I can't see him playing any other super demanding triple A's so it will probably last him the next few years at least.

If it was only the one game that was bothering you right now, then waiting just another month or so may be the most sensible option.

InvalidError

Titan
How long will the 10400 be viable for tho.. is it worth the investment right now?
Your i7-2600 lasted you 10 years and the i5-11400 is 2-2.5X as fast. I'd expect it to go a decently long way.

I wouldn't worry too much about the mid-to-long-term. At the rate AMD and Intel have been trying to one-up each other since Ryzen launched and all of the new fabs on more advanced processes going into production over the next two years, even an i9-12900k may feel ancient when compared against the current state-of-the-art within 4-5 years despite still being overkill for most software.

Reactions: Why_Me
The Xbox Series S not to be confused with the Xbox One S is the most cost effective means of playing the latest games. They are $300 right now on Newegg:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168681...8-105-274-_-xbox+series+s-_-xbox+series+s-_-1

It just depends do you prefer any PC specific games. The 10400 came out in 2020 and the 11400 came out earlier this year, so neither are particularly old. A tomshardware article has some leaks on possible i5 12400F performance:

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/core-i5-12400-qs-cpu-24-percent-faster-core-i5-11400-gaming

That's actually compared to the 11400 in gaming not the 10400 though there isn't much between them most of the time. I was expecting more from it but that's not a final retail sample so some salt needed.

Should I just get the Xbox one series s....I feel most pc games don't support coach coop these days where the same title on console does
I may be mistaken but it seemed like consoles don't do much split screen coop these days either. At least that seemed to me the case on Xbox One but I don't have the new consoles.

Obviously with PC it can do more than just games but it costs more.