Help upgrading two machines please

jdub

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hello. First I'd like to thank all of those who have taken the time to view my question.

I want to upgrade two machines here at our small office. I've read the motherboard manuals for both computers regarding memmory but still have a few questions.

The first motherboard is an MS-5149. It has 4 SIMM slots and 2 DIMM slots. All of the SIMM slots are full and I'd like to add two 32MB DIMM chips to the system. I however seem to be able to find the exact DIMM information that I need to purchase more memory. Some information from the books is as follows: "DIMM socket 1 & 2 power level is 3.3V/5V....If you want to install both SIMM and DIMM slot, you must use a 3.3V DIMM with 5V I/O signal tolerance or use a full 5V DIMM Module (EDO, FP, or SDRAM)." So, I'm asking where I can find some additional information (I've tried there website) on upgrading this computer. OR perhaps someone here can help me out. For instance give me a Kingston model number that will work with this board. What speed is this DIMM chip running at?

COMPUTER TWO:

The mother board is a P5VX-B. Again all SIMM slots are full and there is one open DIMM slot. I need one unbuffered SDRAM module (32MB) for this machine. Again, I prefer Kingston model numbers if possible.

Thank you so much for your time and for helping my out.

JDUB

G

Try not to mix DIMMs and SIMMs together, you will encounter some stability problems. The best options is get some 64 Meg or 128 Meg DIMMs and get rid of your SIMMs ( If you SIMMs are of low capacity). OR upgrade your Motherboard then you wont have any problem of getting any DIMMs.

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It will cost you less money in the long run to just get new computers. Finding SIMMs isn't easy, and when you do they cost so much that it's not worth it. Mixing SIMMs and DIMMs will actually decrease performance and create instability because it screws with the memory timing. And if your motherboard is anything like the old computers I have at home they won't be able to take anything larger than a 32MB DIMM. So really it's not worth it.