HELP, URGENT ADVICE NEEDED. boot up problems!:(

callum12345

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Hello, i am experiencing boot up problems, it takes my laptop around 20 minutes to get on to the desktop. and a further 10 untill i can operate fully. however, once it does eventually run it is fine and fast.

I have done a full system scan with my norton, nothing was wrong. i also installed ccleaner and wiped any unessecary files etc. i also cleaned the registry. i then managed all of my starup tasks, i turned all the ones i didnt need off. however there is still no difference. this has really annoyed me and as you would probably know half an hour for a laptop to come on is taking the ****. so i would appreciate it greatly if someone could help me on this situation.

P.s i have a intel core i5 processor, 6GB RAM, 100GB of space on my HDD and a 1GB dedicated graphics card. btw its a samsung.

Thanks for your reply in advance.:D

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
What OS are you running? How full is your hard drive? Offhand it sounds as though your HDD is getting full and indexing seems to be in no hurry when it first awakens. You can try turning off indexing, see if that speeds anything up. If your hard drive is getting full (over 75% capacity), you may want to look into replacing your HDD with a new one of larger capacity or better still an SSD.
I might be way off also, hard to say

callum12345

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

Thanks for replying, i have windows 7 and i have over 100 GB of space left, how do i turn this indexing off? what will this do to my laptop? will it harm it in anyway?, the HDD isnt even half full. Ok thanks.

callum12345

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

it is samsung, i try pressing f2 for the boot up menu but it does not appear i have tried many times. i have ran checks on the system for errors etc, non shown. it was a dick check i think.

Have you defragged your hard drive lately, that should also help. I might suggest you try that before turning off indexing.
Turning off indexing will not harm anything although it may make internal file searches slower. To turn off indexing go into Control Panel>Performance Information and Tools. Near the upper left corner there should be the option to Adjust Indexing Options.
What is the the model number of the laptop?

callum12345

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Yhh I have defragged it very recently.. I checked aboutt the indexing an I had already cleared the indexing.. It didnt do much to improve the time.. I am currently having to use my phone to answer because of how longg it is taking.. I really do not undersatnd why it is doin this.. I have done everything possible that I can find to speed the system up?.. I am also not getting notifications to say when you reply how do I get this on?.. Thanks for your help. I can't find what the model is.. It is a samsung notebook

To get notifications via e-mail, select "add a reply" in the lower right of this thread. You should see the selection option: "enable the mail notification of this thread" at the bottom left of that panel
In the meantime, I'll see what I can find

Samsung says on the back of the laptop there is a label. At the upper right of that label is the model series - I can work from that. You should be able to use "SeaTools" available here http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/ to test your hard drive

G

I usually run a chkdsk on the hard drive to see if there are any errors, but I am sure if you use the manufacturer's utility it will do that and more. Everyone else has already suggested anything else I would do. If you have a Seagate drive use SeaTools

callum12345

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

np300e5a is the model. ok thanks.

callum12345

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

Thanks for your input.