Question Help! USB device preventing Windows from booting ?

Lambdrum78

Honorable
Feb 8, 2016
Please help! I am very frustrated with this problem:

I bought a new mouse(Razer Basilisk Ultimate) and when it is plugged in and i turn on the computer, it will go into a boot loop or get stuck at the POST screen and not boot to Windows. I wont be able to push anything to enter BIOS either. If i unplug the mouse and restart the computer, it will boot into windows with no problem and then i can plug the mouse back in and everything works fine. The computer has worked fine for quite a while with no problems.
Specs are as follows:

ASUS Maximus VIII Mobo
i7 6700K
32 gb RAM
512 M.2 ssd
3tb HDD
1070 graphics card
Windows 10 Pro

I have tried lots of different things to resolve the issue:
unplug all USB devices except mouse and keyboard
plug mouse into USB 3.1 port and USB 2.0 port
Make sure BIOS is set to not boot to USB
Turn on and off USB legacy device in BIOS
update all drivers and confirm BIOS is up to date
increase POST time
Turn off FAST boot

This had also happened about a year ago when i plugged in the Razer HDK lighting kit. I just unplugged it and don't use the controls and it works. I contacted Razer support and all they could say is that it is a problem with my PC, which i had already figured. I am at a loss. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
So two times Razer and blame the pc, that is nice. You have Razer software installed? Delete it with Revo Uninstaller (for leftovers use the most stringent setting) and see if you still have problems.
If the problems are away, reinstall the latest software/drivers and try again.

Lambdrum78

Honorable
Feb 8, 2016
So two times Razer and blame the pc, that is nice. You have Razer software installed? Delete it with Revo Uninstaller (for leftovers use the most stringent setting) and see if you still have problems.
If the problems are away, reinstall the latest software/drivers and try again.
Thank you for the response Vic 40. I did download, install and run the REVO uninstaller to remove the software and drivers as suggested. When REVO was complete, i shut down the computer and restarted with the mouse plugged in and it went directly into the boot loop again. I tried several more times and each time it would go into the boot loop or get hung up on POST. When i unplugged the mouse, it would boot right into Windows with not problems and then i could plug in the mouse and it would work fine. Any other ideas?

Lambdrum78

Honorable
Feb 8, 2016
Any ? or ! in device manager?

Have the latest firmware on the mouse?
No, there are no faults or errors in Device Manager. After i removed all the Razer software with REVO, i booted in to Windows with the mouse unplugged and everything worked. I reinstalled the Razer software to get all of the updated drivers and everything was still working, but when i re booted, it went into the boot loop immediately, so i had to unplug the mouse again to get in to windows. its very strange.

Lambdrum78

Honorable
Feb 8, 2016
Yes i do have the correct drive and boot order. Boot from USB is not even included in boot order. I have seen the other posts about the mouse preventing windows from booting, but i can never find a solution, the thread just ends or is abandoned.

Nov 28, 2021
Yes i do have the correct drive and boot order. Boot from USB is not even included in boot order. I have seen the other posts about the mouse preventing windows from booting, but i can never find a solution, the thread just ends or is abandoned.
Did you solve this? I got the same mouse today and went through the same process. Installed drivers, restart pc, and black screen/boot loop. After several loops I finally unplugged the mouse and the computer booted normally. Mobo is an Asus Rog Crosshair VIII and I’ve had a few other issues that I think I’ve traced to the mobo specifically so I assumed it was another mobo compatibility issue. Did you find a solution?