Question Help using HDR for gaming with monitor LG27UL550

kahunaseal

Honorable
Oct 19, 2016
Hi i tried to use Display Port that came with this monitor HDR activated on windows and Ycbcr422 10 bpc on NVCP.
The colors just look washed out , i tried a cable HDMI 2.0 , it helped better , i will try another DP cable to test future results .
I wonder if i need to calibrate the colors or use a ICC profile, any help on this problem would be awsome.

PS: Game tested modern warfare 2019.

Hi i tried to use Display Port that came with this monitor HDR activated on windows and Ycbcr422 10 bpc on NVCP.
The colors just look washed out , i tried a cable HDMI 2.0 , it helped better , i will try another DP cable to test future results .
I wonder if i need to calibrate the colors or use a ICC profile, any help on this problem would be awsome.

PS: Game tested modern warfare 2019.
It sounds like a poor quality dp cable I would buy I high quality 4k hdr dp cable

Washed out colors sounds more like the source is still SDR and it didn't get properly mapped to HDR.

The quality of the cable won't affect the colors. Either it'll work or won't. And by won't, it could be anything from not working period to the display blanking randomly.

I don't know why I'm being quoted, but I really don't think it's the cable. Here's why.

I wanted to watch a movie on my TV through my XB1. It was a 4K HDR movie. I noticed right away the colors didn't look right, like they were "washed out." Probably should've also caught this but my TV explicitly states it's in HDR mode but it didn't. So I went back to the XB1's settings and found out... Oh, it's in 1080p mode for some reason. Switched it to 4K mode, ran another movie I had and knew it was 4K HDR and boom, TV switched to HDR mode. Went back to the original movie and now it looks properly.

Also unless you're dealing with something longer than about 6ft/1.5m, you can have a chinsy looking cable and it'll probably still work. My PS4 Pro came with an HDMI cable that looks like something out a Walmart bargain bin, but it does 4K HDR just fine.

Getting HDR settings to work can be a bit of a hassle. I won't stop OP from getting a cable, but at least muck around with the settings on all fronts (Monitor? OS? Game?) first.

jasonf2

Distinguished
I have done a pretty significant amount of photoshop work and one of the first things I learned that if you want accurate color on any monitor you will have to invest in some sort of a calibration solution. I personally purchased a spyder from datacolor and run it every now and then. It sounds like you probably don't have hdr turned on somewhere, but calibration makes a huge difference especially when running multiple monitor rigs. It is really obvious just how far out of adjustment stock is when you have two different monitors side by side. For marketing purposes the vibrance is usually way too far up and backlights are cranked as well. Cables can be an issue, but DisplayPort is a digital stream, not an analog signal. It either works or it doesn't. Wash out is what is being sent to the monitor or how it is rendering on the monitor not the cable. Even with an older 1.4 cable resolutions up to 4k can run hdr at 60hz without an issue. Anything above that and you will need the 2.0 spec cable set.