HELP: Various BSOD eactly 1:30 after boot every time, hardware issue?

colton_7

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
Windows boots and I can login fine but it crashes shortly after every time (1:30 after Windows load). I’m convinced it’s a hardware issue but need some assistance debugging it further.

One of the following 3 errors pops up exactly 1:30 after windows is loaded:
1) KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED(wof.sys)
2) SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED(Wof.sys)
3) PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Debugging attempts so far:
1) Ran memtestx86 for four passes on both the memory sticks and each individually with no errors.
2) Removed the graphics card and loaded using integrated graphics (still crashed).
3) Booted in windows safe mode (stable)
4) Refreshed windows and booted in normal (crash at 1:30 every time)
5) Tried wiping the drive and reinstalling windows (crashed during windows installation)
6) Tried installing Ubuntu and running it from a USB, install and live runtime both crashed.
a. Does this mean the SSD is not to blame since Ubuntu crashed while running on a USB?

Next Steps
1) Test SSD: Swap the SSD for another HDD/SSD and try reinstalling windows on it without crash.
a. If crash hook up first SSD to another computer, reinstall windows and check stability.
2) Find some way to test CPU and motherboard?
3) Power supply issue maybe? (Used old PSU 850w, should be fine and shouldn’t crash when gpu is removed…)

Additional Notes
1) I used the same installation media (usb) on another computer without issue so it is not a corrupt installation. In addition to this I tried another installation usb with a different version of windows 10 and had the same problem.
2) According to a benchmark I ran before the BSOD returned all of the devices were performing as expected other than the SSD, and ram. The ram I later found out was because I wasn’t utilizing the dual channel configuration, but the SSD I don’t have a reason for.

My build
* CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
* CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
* Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
* Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
* Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
* Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
* Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Has anyone had similar experiences?
Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Well, if it's not the PSU, I'd assume it's the motherboard. In over 10 years of fixing and diagnosing computers, I've only had to replace ONE damaged CPU. People will spread stories about dead CPU's because of temperatures or whatever, but unless it's related to some sort of electric discharge or overclocking, as I said I've only seen one CPU die of "natural causes".

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
Just to make sure I understood that part correctly, does the linux install crash while running live too?

You seem to have tried most of the logical procedures, I could only think of doing a bios update in case this was some sort of weird bug with your specific hardware combination. If that doesn't work, then the only thing left would be to try another PSU. But as you said, it doesn't sound likely to me.

colton_7

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016

Yeah, running the Linux distro live crashed with the Linux equivalent of a BSOD. I updated the bios the first time I saw a bsod, and I doubt there have been any changes in the last month. I'm going to run some test on the SSD next. However, I have no idea how to debug between the CPU and motherboard so if its not the SSD or PSU i'll definatly be stuck.

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
Well, if it's not the PSU, I'd assume it's the motherboard. In over 10 years of fixing and diagnosing computers, I've only had to replace ONE damaged CPU. People will spread stories about dead CPU's because of temperatures or whatever, but unless it's related to some sort of electric discharge or overclocking, as I said I've only seen one CPU die of "natural causes".

Solution