help w/ a dying crt monitor

cookj128371

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2003
A friend just got a 19" CRT dirt cheap and it works great except after it's been on a long time the color turns greenish. He'd really like to fix it himself if possible, but neither of us are electricians (or anywhere near, lol). The guy who sold it to him says it's a bad resistor and normally he repairs them and sells them for a lot more, but didn't have time with this one for some reason. Anyway, can anyone out there help, or is this something that'd just have to be done by a pro? I took a couple electronics classes in high school and understand electrical jargon if anyone can help. Thanks!

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
You could try to look up replacing a resistor. Of course, that would mean you're comfortable opening a monitor and working around a cathode ray tube, which could shock you something nasty if you mess up.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Yup, you gotta be VERY careful with those things, they store a helluva lotta juice even if they've not been plugged in for ages.

I have first-hand experience of this, from an old amiga monitor - must have been only 12" or something, but still fried the hell outta me :eek: .

---
Epox 8RDA+ V1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @200x10 (~2Ghz), 1.4 Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL/1x512Mb Corsair XMS PC4000 2.5-3-3-7
Sapphire 9800Pro (VGA Silencer Rev3) @418/742

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Remember when you had to resize monitors internally (back in the late 80's)? I was adjusting a 13" monitor and POW the screwdriver shot out of my hand!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
NEC 17" CRT monitors have 2 adjustments on the side, for calibrating them for sharpness using a screwdriver. Circa mid to late 90's.

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm refering to early monitors which usually had either no height adjustment or width adjustment externally, forcing you to make those adjustments on the board itself deep inside the monitor (under the tube facing up).

I'll take your word for it that NEC had holes going to the flyback transformer, that would be easy to do on nearly any monitor since the flyback transformer is usually in the left rear corner.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

LampEft

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2004
Indeed. In my first, ultra-low-paying job as a computer tech for a company in the DC area, I had a boss who demonstrated to me how much power those puppies can hold. Demonstrated it in a most vivid manner. Scared me plenty. Plus, one of the guys in the shop had his own firsthand horror-story-o'-shock to tell about an experience he had. These two things convinced me that I NEVER wanted to open up or work on monitors. :) I remain blissfully ignorant as to most of their inner workings or how to repair them. I'll stick to PCs.

TRENDING THREADS