Help w/Northbridge Chipset Cooler Installation

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
I just picked up a CoolerMaster Blue ICE (SLC-S41-U1):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?rNavShow=false&EdpNo=1445196&CatId=498

My ABIT AI7 NB fan started acting up pretty bad, so it was time to replace.

Anyway, this thing comes with no installation instructions and I haven't done this before. There is no way to "hook" it on (no screws, and the Abit HSF had this metal hook extending from each side that hooked into two little loops on the motherboard.

This one looks just like it does in the pic, thats it.

No obviously it can't just float there, but the thing says "universal application for all platforms" and on the bottom of the HSF has a sticky pad on it...

Do I just put this thing over the Northbridge Chipset with the sticky pad and let it stick on there? I thought it needed to have metal to metal contact with thermal grease (there is thermal paste leftover on the chipset/stock ABIT HSF)...

so anyway I don't know how else this would go on, but I'm not sure what to do...?

P4c 3.2Ghz NWood / ABIT AI7 / 1GB XMS-Pro DDR 3200 / BFG GF-6800GT 256mb / Antec 380W

A64 3000 Venice / Epox 9npa-U / 1GB HyperX DDR 3200 / XFX GF-6600GT 128mb / Antec 330W

They're usually held on with push pins that lock on the backside of the Motherboard, you have to remove the Motherboard, look on the backside and find where the pushpins come through, take either forcepts, tweezers, or needle nosed pliers, carefully squeeze the points together and they'll go back through the hole, be careful not to damage them if the new cooler didn't come with new ones you may have to reuse the old ones.

Install the new cooler in the reverse of removing the old, remount the M/B and make sure you've reconnected all wires.

<font color=blue>AMD XP 3200+ / Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe / Corsair XMS PC3200 1024mb LLC2 / ATI X850 Pro / SoundBlaster X-FI / 2 Seagate SATA 7200rpm/8mb / Plextor PX-716A DVDRW</font color=blue>

sturm

Splendid
Have you taken the fan off the new heatsink to see if the Wire from the old one will work with the new one. If not youll have to trust the self stick thermal pad on the new one.

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
I read some reviews on this one I have from newegg - apparently it sucks, so I'm taking it back to CompUSA.

Can anyone recommend a good NB HSF replacement... please?

Thanks!

P4c 3.2Ghz NWood / ABIT AI7 / 1GB XMS-Pro DDR 3200 / BFG GF-6800GT 256mb / Antec 380W

A64 3000 Venice / Epox 9npa-U / 1GB HyperX DDR 3200 / XFX GF-6600GT 128mb / Antec 330W

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, go to Radio Shack and get their 486 cooler, works good for chipsets.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>