help w/ sony handycam audio

Hope this is the right NG. Couldn't find any for "Sony Handycam"

I got a Sony trv350 recently and noticed that there is very little info in
the manual on the audio portion of the unit.
Any help will be appreciated.

1: I can't find any type of gain control in the menus.

2: It's not clear that there is any way of "monitoring" the sound being
recorded (like through headphones). I did find the audio in/out jack but it
is unclear exactly what it does when in record mode.

3: I'm filming mostly inside community events like a coffeehouse. I would
like to improve the audio quality. I have some great binaural mikes
http://www.core-sound.com/lcmics.html and would like to use them near the
performers. Ideally I would like to hook them to a wireless
transmitter/receiver so I could plug the receiver into the mic jack on the
camera OR a sound board/minidisc. etc This would allow me to move about with
the camera. Anyone been successful with this?

Thanks in advance for any help

DC

I've got a TRV350, too. Since it isn't made anymore, it's a great value on
the used market.

1. Don't know about the variable audio, as I let the camera ride gain
automatically. Never had a problem.

2. You can stick a headset in the "upper hole" (green) to monitor sound as
you record.

3. As you want to do, sometimes I stick a wireless microphone in the lower
hole" (red) to pick up audio remotely.

Good luck!

Doug
Oakland, CA

"J Miller" <millerz@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Hope this is the right NG. Couldn't find any for "Sony Handycam"
>
> I got a Sony trv350 recently and noticed that there is very little info in
> the manual on the audio portion of the unit.
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> 1: I can't find any type of gain control in the menus.
>
> 2: It's not clear that there is any way of "monitoring" the sound being
> recorded (like through headphones). I did find the audio in/out jack but
it
> is unclear exactly what it does when in record mode.
>
> 3: I'm filming mostly inside community events like a coffeehouse. I would
> like to improve the audio quality. I have some great binaural mikes
> http://www.core-sound.com/lcmics.html and would like to use them near the
> performers. Ideally I would like to hook them to a wireless
> transmitter/receiver so I could plug the receiver into the mic jack on the
> camera OR a sound board/minidisc. etc This would allow me to move about
with
> the camera. Anyone been successful with this?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help

---

My thanks for the advice but my apology for possible error on Model.#
I have a DCR-TRV350 which is apparently another model.
There is no "green upper hole" on the unit. I do have an AV/out ont he
bottom which I will try and see if sound monitoring is possible.

I'm still struggling with the cordless mic thing as far as using my
exisiting mics to hook up cordless.

J Miller