Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency 60 Hz
Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0
NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Model GeForce GT 730
Device ID 10DE-1287
Revision A2
Subvendor ZOTAC International (MCO)/PC Partner (19DA)
Current Performance Level Level 0
Current GPU Clock 901 MHz
Current Memory Clock 800 MHz
Current Shader Clock 800 MHz
Voltage 1.037 V
Technology 28 nm
Bus Interface PCI Express x8
Temperature 36 °C
Driver version 30.0.14.7212
BIOS Version 80.28.78.00.13
Memory 4095 MB
Count of performance levels : 1
Level 1 - "Perf Level 0"
GPU Clock 901 MHz
Shader Clock 800 MHz

CPu specs:

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Cores 2
Threads 2
Name Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Code Name Wolfdale
Package Socket 775 LGA
Technology 45nm
Specification Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Family 6
Extended Family 6
Model 7
Extended Model 17
Stepping 6
Revision C0
Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, Intel 64, NX, VMX
Virtualization Supported, Enabled
Hyperthreading Not supported
Stock Core Speed 3000 MHz
Stock Bus Speed 333 MHz
Average Temperature 42 °C
Caches
L1 Data Cache Size 2 x 32 KBytes
L1 Instructions Cache Size 2 x 32 KBytes
L2 Unified Cache Size 6144 KBytes
Cores
Core Speed Multiplier Temperature Threads
Core 0 2327.5 MHz x 7.0 42 °C APIC ID: 0
Core 1 2992.5 MHz x 9.0 42 °C APIC ID: 1

RAM specs:

RAM
Memory slots
Total memory slots 4
Used memory slots 4
Free memory slots 0
Memory
Type DDR3
Size 16384 MBytes
Channels # Dual
CAS# Latency (CL) 7 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 7 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 7 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 20 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T
Physical Memory
Memory Usage 47 %
Total Physical 15 GB
Available Physical 7.90 GB
Total Virtual 30 GB
Available Virtual 13 GB
SPD
Number Of SPD Modules 4
Slot #1
Slot #2
Slot #3
Slot #4

What fun and creative things can jam in my sad, aging dinosuar of a machine to BEEF UP the cpu, psu, and RAM?

All other ideas WELCOME!!!

What fun and creative things can jam in my sad, aging dinosuar of a machine to BEEF UP the cpu, psu, and RAM?
i don't understand your question.

there's no extra hardware you can add to "beef up" your existing components.
they will still operate at their manufacturer designed limits regardless of what new components may be added to the system.
are you instead asking what upgrades would be compatible with this current motherboard;
as in replacing the CPU, GPU, RAM, & power supply?

rather than trying to add anything or upgrade anything on this very aged system i would be looking into building an entire new system with modern hardware.

Nov 28, 2016
I am asking if there are pci card things I can add in, or things to fill the empty pin things on my motherboard to add more ram, somehow add more cores of some kind, lessen workload of my CPU or GPU, fish to English translator. ( Yes I'm serious on that last one, this post is about creativity that can work. Thought to text technology has been around for 10 years now.)

I appreciate the cooling and storage suggestions, Thank you, but I have plenty of that already.

And I doubt I maxed out my manafactuers limits on anything on this machine, but I'm happy to hear suggestions.

The sound works fine. There's no need for more sound stuff. I like more USB slots, do they work faster in PCI slots?

I'm not intrested in replaceing the cpu, gpu, or ram. But adding something into the pci slots to beef up what I got is what im aiming more for.

The pci-e slot has a graphics card in it and I bolted it in. Damn near encased it in solid concrete to make sure it never moves from that slot agian. I aim to keep it that way intil there's a ddr3 graphics
card that has OpenGL greater than 4.0 under $120.

I have a few fans for just the occasion to keep it cool, cooling is not problem.

What else can be put in there?

I don't want to buy a new pc becaue they blind me with rainbow glitter lazers and I would like to have that light show sent striaght to hell so the power they use could be put into proformance rather than a blinding musical box.

If I wanted that, I would get a t.v. and a radio. I would like to upgrade what I have now instead of buying new $5000 computer for everytime I have question about computers.

Ever bought a car, worked on it and got a better part for it instead of buying a ferri? Sure the ferri is faster but you like your car more? It's a lot like that. ( Yes i'm serious about all of what I post, it's not an insult thing. It's a I wanna upgrade this thing.) I'm not trying to be insulting, im older than most trees and roads and I am fustrated.

Theres no add on cards that will improve your systems performance, so thats a no go.
You can add in more USB ports if necessary, but thats again, not a performance upgrade, just additional ports for your use.

You also dont have to get a super flashy PC if you ever want to upgrade, there are plenty of prebuilts and/or build your own with zero RGB or lighting. There are often great deals on workstation PCs on clearance that allow for cheap, simple systems that perform reasonably well.

Your current system, performance wise, is going to stay as is, theres nothing to be done with it at this point.

I am asking if there are pci card things I can add in, or things to fill the empty pin things on my motherboard to add more ram, somehow add more cores of some kind, lessen workload of my CPU or GPU
there's no extra hardware you can add to "beef up" your existing components.
they will still operate at their manufacturer designed limits regardless of what new components may be added to the system.
for a noticeably faster CPU in regards to today's standards you will need a new modern motherboard.
which will in turn need new modern DDR4/5 RAM and will probably require a newer better power supply.
there is nothing you can add or manipulate with this current processor that can even get it anywhere near to what the lowest tiered 12th gen Intel Core can offer.
any slight overclock you can achieve with this Core 2 Duo E8400 will not even be comparable to modern processors.

you can of course flash this thing up some aesthetically just for a "retro" style system to show off or enjoy old software on.
but there is nothing you can do to actually improve the existing memory, graphics card, or central processor's available performance in any noticeably beneficial way that would be even comparable to more modern hardware.

logainofhades

Titan
This would run multiple circles around that old core 2, and no RGB in sight.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($129.98 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin King 120 Mini 64.87 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $532.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-30 15:04 EDT-0400

Reactions: Corwin65
Nov 28, 2016
Okay then, apparently "Buy it new" is the mantra. Let's do it. But to keep things seprate by subject, here is a link to the new " Buy a computer thread. " So all those that have tried / been trying to help ( Thank you.) can pitch in their knowledge and maybe we all can figure something out.

While I set fire to my 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California SWB Spider with a disco unicorn in the front seat . I'll get my robes, some candles and a goat.

Okay then, apparently "Buy it new" is the mantra. Let's do it. But to keep things seprate by subject, here is a link to the new " Buy a computer thread. " So all those that have tried / been trying to help ( Thank you.) can pitch in their knowledge and maybe we all can figure something out.

While I set fire to my 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California SWB Spider with a disco unicorn in the front seat . I'll get my robes, some candles and a goat.
Your old PC wasn't a Ferrari even when it was brand new. More of a Yugo. If you put a diamond necklace on an old horse it's still not going to win races.

Reactions: Dancingchickens5000

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021

whoa.. that's a lot to read. We have the same cpu, I used an e8400 about 4 years ago.
and my lga 775 pc still works, still has a handful of games, but mostly used now as backup storage.
__

not much to upgrade on an lga 775, but you can do these if you have the budget.

upgrade the e8400 to a Q9500. It's a quad core, faster and better in certain games. The q9500 is so far, the most stable quad core I've tested. Did not give any errors, when I upgraded my e8400 to a Q9500.

if your motherboard allows it, get your pc to a total 8gb of ddr3 ram. This should help lessen the lag in games.

if you have the money, replace the GT 730 with a GTX 1050ti. This should help lessen the lag in gpu dependent games. The gpu can be carried over to your next pc if you decide to buy a new one. Don't worry about the bottleneck, I use a GTX 1650 on my lga 775, and there's still a huge improvement on some games.

Last edited:
Let's do it...
what exactly do you plan on using this system for and for how long do you plan on keeping it in use before further upgrades or rebuilding again?
enthusiasts usually seem to be planning on large upgrades every 2-3 years,
general gamers maybe every 3-5 years,
and average home/office users every 5 to even 10 years.

do you play or plan on playing modern AAA games?
if so, at what resolution and what type of in-game settings would you like to use?
what range of frame rates would you like to see on average?
would you like to get into VR?

do you plan on any type of video editing for home videos, work, game recording, etc?
do you plan on transcoding DVDs, BluRays, or other types of video to more portable media formats?

your plans for the system and what type of performance you would like to see is what determines the type of system you need and what components it should include.

NZXT offers some pretty good options:
https://nzxt.com/category/gaming-pcs/build

Newegg.com has a pretty easy to use PC building option built-in:
https://www.newegg.com/tools/custom...r-_-Under_Search_Bar-_-PC+Builder&icid=671801

a better option may even be to visit a local computer shop and have them walk you through the process and build it for you so you have first person support available for any future help or issues that may arise.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2016
Your old PC wasn't a Ferrari even when it was brand new. More of a Yugo. If you put a diamond necklace on an old horse it's still not going to win races.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, even if it's a hillbilly beating a dead horse in hopes of a miracle. Good one dude.

whoa.. that's a lot to read. We have the same cpu, I used an e8400 about 4 years ago.
and my lga 775 pc still works, still has a handful of games, but mostly used now as backup storage.
__

not much to upgrade on an lga 775, but you can do these if you have the budget.

upgrade the e8400 to a Q9500. It's a quad core, faster and better in certain games. The q9500 is so far, the most stable quad core I've tested. Did not give any errors, when I upgraded my e8400 to a Q9500.

if your motherboard allows it, get your pc to a total 8gb of ddr3 ram. This should help lessen the lag in games.

if you have the money, replace the GT 730 with a GTX 1050ti. This should help lessen the lag in gpu dependent games. The gpu can be carried over to your next pc if you decide to buy a new one. Don't worry about the bottleneck, I use a GTX 1650 on my lga 775, and there's still a huge improvement on some games.

It's got 4x4 ddr3 ram cards in already, totaling 16 gb. Computer says 14.9 is useable.
Then I Got 29 gb of readyboost
Then I futher strangled it with 30 gb of V-ram
Then increased paging file size by a additional 30 gb
I have a 3 tb hard drive attempting to hide in the corner. If I find some other way to increase ram or something, I'll slap that in and use all 3 TB for that if possible.
If there is some other ram like programs out there I would like to hear more about them. :D

what exactly do you plan on using this system for and for how long do you plan on keeping it in use before further upgrades or rebuilding again?

Until the sun explodes. It's for gaming older games. I am aiming for fallout 4 with a graphics setting higher than blind and everyone looks like plastic. As for those sites, it says nothing about building it for me to my knowledge. especally newegg. If you can send a link I would be thrilled to chat with them about it all day long. Yes I did make mutiple threads and directly message me/ posting in thread of that question of a certian title / continueing on diffrent thread are all acceptable. I did that so everyone who reads them can also get all facts in the case of well This page says this but none of this. And that question was alreadly awsnered elsewhere on one of the forums to save everyone time so noone has to waits days for a response that was alreadly awsnered elsewhere. I know how that feels. Thank you all for awsnering. I like those new links, hopefully they work. :D

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I got a mother board with extra slots open, Here are the stats:

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 0C27VV (CPU)
Version A01
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Q45/Q43
Chipset Revision 03
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801JB (ICH10)
Southbridge Revision 02
BIOS
Brand Dell Inc.
Version A14
Date 8/21/2012
PCI Data
Slot Proprietary
Slot Type Proprietary
Slot Usage In Use
Data lanes x1
Slot Designation SLOT1
Characteristics PME
Slot Number 0
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation SLOT2
Characteristics 5V, 3.3V, PME
Slot Number 1
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation SLOT3
Characteristics 5V, 3.3V, PME
Slot Number 2
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage Available
Data lanes x1
Slot Designation SLOT4
Characteristics 3.3V, PME
Slot Number 3

graphics card specs:

Name PLL2710W on NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
Current Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
Work Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
State Enabled, Primary
Monitor Width 1920
Monitor Height 1080
Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency 60 Hz
Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0
NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Model GeForce GT 730
Device ID 10DE-1287
Revision A2
Subvendor ZOTAC International (MCO)/PC Partner (19DA)
Current Performance Level Level 0
Current GPU Clock 901 MHz
Current Memory Clock 800 MHz
Current Shader Clock 800 MHz
Voltage 1.037 V
Technology 28 nm
Bus Interface PCI Express x8
Temperature 36 °C
Driver version 30.0.14.7212
BIOS Version 80.28.78.00.13
Memory 4095 MB
Count of performance levels : 1
Level 1 - "Perf Level 0"
GPU Clock 901 MHz
Shader Clock 800 MHz

CPu specs:

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Cores 2
Threads 2
Name Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Code Name Wolfdale
Package Socket 775 LGA
Technology 45nm
Specification Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Family 6
Extended Family 6
Model 7
Extended Model 17
Stepping 6
Revision C0
Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, Intel 64, NX, VMX
Virtualization Supported, Enabled
Hyperthreading Not supported
Stock Core Speed 3000 MHz
Stock Bus Speed 333 MHz
Average Temperature 42 °C
Caches
L1 Data Cache Size 2 x 32 KBytes
L1 Instructions Cache Size 2 x 32 KBytes
L2 Unified Cache Size 6144 KBytes
Cores
Core Speed Multiplier Temperature Threads
Core 0 2327.5 MHz x 7.0 42 °C APIC ID: 0
Core 1 2992.5 MHz x 9.0 42 °C APIC ID: 1

RAM specs:

RAM
Memory slots
Total memory slots 4
Used memory slots 4
Free memory slots 0
Memory
Type DDR3
Size 16384 MBytes
Channels # Dual
CAS# Latency (CL) 7 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 7 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 7 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 20 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T
Physical Memory
Memory Usage 47 %
Total Physical 15 GB
Available Physical 7.90 GB
Total Virtual 30 GB
Available Virtual 13 GB
SPD
Number Of SPD Modules 4
Slot #1
Slot #2
Slot #3
Slot #4

For about 500 bucks just build new you can use older hardware if you wish the CPU is about 300% better and the video card is about 400% better. You can use windows 10 for free just not activated.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i3-10100F 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor | $59.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler | ARCTIC Freezer 7 X CPU Cooler | $25.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI H510M-A PRO Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard | $79.98 @ Amazon
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory | $58.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $39.99 @ Adorama
Video Card | MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Video Card | $142.00 @ Amazon
Case | Zalman S2 ATX Mid Tower Case | $54.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply | EVGA BQ 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $44.99 @ EVGA
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $506.92
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-01 20:04 EDT-0400 |

EDIT you could save the 25 bucks for the cooler and just use the stock cooler if you wish.

Nov 28, 2016
Thank you all. :D

Zerk you're really onto something.

1. I cant find if that graphics card supports opengl and what version it comes with. If it does and you tell me that would be great.

2. Also, is there any systems that zerk spoke of in his build that exisit that I can just buy?

3. And where does it say on newegg / anywhere that they build the computer? Please send direct link. <--- Looking for something like " Yes, we BUILD the computer." Not just pick parts. I got butterfingers and will mess it up if I build it myself.

4. Can that CPU be overclocked?

With all 4 of those things/questions awsnered, we all might've just solved this. :D

Thanks agian everyone for your input, your repeated efforts and hammerings are sinking in.

Nov 28, 2016
The graphics card opengl version matters a lot. I'm not going to bother with anything that does not have openGL. It's important for much and There's no point in bothering with a new machine, much less with a graphics card that does not have at least open GL 4.0

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Last edited:

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
you have to wait for people more knowledgeable on that case for an answer.

this info might be useful to you, if you plan to get the same brand.. my MSI 1050ti is 215 mm long.

Last edited: