HELP - What is UUID and VPD Data utility ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi,
I've downloaded the maintenace manual for the IBM 240X - I'mm trying to
swap the motherboard.

The manual says ..

"Replacing the System Board:
When you replace the system board, restore the computer serial number
using the VPD Data Utility and reassign the UUID using the Flash UUID
Utility"

What does this mean and what would happen if I dont do it

TIA
Jenny

The big question is will my laptop still work if I DONT provide that
info ?

TIA
Jenny

JennyAdams1977 wrote:
> Hi,
> I've downloaded the maintenace manual for the IBM 240X - I'mm trying
> to swap the motherboard.
>
> The manual says ..
>
> "Replacing the System Board:
> When you replace the system board, restore the computer serial number
> using the VPD Data Utility and reassign the UUID using the Flash UUID
> Utility"
>
> What does this mean and what would happen if I dont do it
>
> TIA
> Jenny

Hopefully, someone with specific information will come along... When a
new, out of the box, replacement board is installed, it does not have
unit-specific identifications such as the asset tag, a correct service
ID number, etc., so IBM maintenance needs to restore these for purposes
of warranty and security. In your case this is probably immaterial if
you have a used replacement board. You probably cannot get your hands
on the data utility anyway since it has many potentials for illegal or
improper use. It might affect restoring from IBM restoration media with
a new board if not done, but a used board should have all of this
already.

JennyAdams1977 wrote:
> The big question is will my laptop still work if I DONT provide that
> info ?
>
> TIA
> Jenny

Yes.

> The big question is will my laptop still work if I DONT provide that
> info ?

Yes, BUT you might need to reinstall Windows if it detects a different
UUID (UUID = Universally Unique ID, i.e. it is supposed to
guaranteeably differentiate between different systems).

I intend to use a new hard disk - so will there be a problem ?

Jenny

JennyAdams1977 wrote:
> I intend to use a new hard disk - so will there be a problem ?
>
> Jenny

No problem, since you will be reinstalling Windows to the new HD. All
will be well (of course, be sure to get any specialty drivers from IBM
support and copy to CD so you have an installation source). You will
likely have to activate your new installation of Windows since with a
new mainboard it is a "new" computer, but that is a minor annoyance.