Help what's going on, makes no sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlesam95

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Hello!!
On my pc ( soon to build a new one ), I had windows xp firewall and Internet security, also a symantec antivirus.

While on the Internet I received a message from windows saying my firewall and other security has well pretty much crashed and uploaded 29 viruses like a stat counter and other bank account viruses.

I updated symantec and ran a scan however nothing showed up! Then ran spybot search and destroy and it only found 2 Trojan viruses not 29 extreme viruses.

It's really weird because that particular program has never picked up anyviruses and symantec always does, no matter how small.

Should I just uninstall it and download MSE??

Someone please explain, thanks!

Solution
In another thread you asked about what security tools to use. Please use the tools that people have suggested.

Disconnect your ethernet cable from your machine (I prefer this over disabling the connection in software), uninstall symantec, install your new security software, do various scans, see what issues come up and let the utilities do their job and reconnect the ethernet cable.

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
In another thread you asked about what security tools to use. Please use the tools that people have suggested.

Disconnect your ethernet cable from your machine (I prefer this over disabling the connection in software), uninstall symantec, install your new security software, do various scans, see what issues come up and let the utilities do their job and reconnect the ethernet cable.

Solution

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
All this will let you scan your system for security issues.

If it doesn't come up with anything your system is likely to be clean.

Just because your system said there were "29 extreme viruses" does not mean there actually were. That in itself might have been a bit of malware trying to mislead you.

You should absolutely not be on the internet without a firewall when using Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.