Help! When i press the power button the computer only starts for a split second then turns off.

PopCornScott

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014
When i press my power button the cpu and rear fan go on for a split second then it shuts down? I was going to clean my pc and i saw a good spot to put some cables so i took out the power cable out of the mobo (the 2pin one) and moved it and put it back. After that the computer wont start. It started after 6/7 tries and i thought it fixed itself so i turned it off and when i tried turning it on again same problem D: Please help (oh and the parts are almost brand new and i had touched the case many times so i didn't zap it)

Solution

The power button was keeping the contact on. So when it was pushed it was maintaining the contact and was force shutting the PC.

Solution was new (cheap) power button.

Regards

PopCornScott

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014

My specs are
CPU: Intel i5 4570 3.2GH.z
GPU: Msi GTX 770 Twin Frozr gaming editon
MOBO: Msi z87 G45 Gaming
Case: CM storm trooper
PSU: Cooler Master V700
Ram 2x4 G.skill sniper 1600mhz
Cpu Cooler: Cooler Master 212 Evo

I Have had these parts for about a month and had the fully built pc for 2 weeks and nothing unusual has happend

PopCornScott

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014

nope i tested, but today the pc wont even turn on? I forgot to mention i saw a little light flashing on the motherboard yesterday aswell :p But is there something that is broken like the mobo or psu? I dont know if the mobo is broken because how else would the cpu fan go on for a split second if its broken?

legokill101

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
um ok thats important that means likely a bad psu but just to be sure i need you to first insure that all cables are completly pluged in and then take out one stick fo ram try to boot if it doesnet put it back and and remove the other and then remove the gpu and try and boot off the intagrated gpu

lazy69

Reputable
Jun 2, 2014
test the ram take out both then turn on then install each module of ram 1 by 1 turn on again arfter testing each one to see if it boots up next test graffix card by remooving and turning on the fans should spin and stay on test before you suspect the motherboard and processer

PMFTOTC

Distinguished
May 28, 2015

I recently have the same problem.
what do you mean but a faulty power buttion?

BardeMk

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015

The power button was keeping the contact on. So when it was pushed it was maintaining the contact and was force shutting the PC.

Solution was new (cheap) power button.

Regards

Solution

PMFTOTC

Distinguished
May 28, 2015

Oh! tks!
I will check my later, How can I test this? clearly I don't have another power button...

PMFTOTC

Distinguished
May 28, 2015

hey, how did you test whether the power button is broken.
I have opened up my case, the button was connected to the motherboard.
How to test the functionality of the button?
tks.