[SOLVED] Help! which laptop is the better choice?

Santupro14

Reputable
Jun 16, 2017
Hello everyone! Hope you're having a nice day.

1. What is your budget?

NZD2300 max.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15-17 will be ok.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

High would be a dream, but medium-high is more than enough.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/
https://www.extremepc.co.nz/
https://www.justlaptops.co.nz/
https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/
https://www.mightyape.co.nz/

Then there's Harvey Norman, Noel Leeming and JB HiFi , that sometimes have some discounts but rarely good ones.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

at least 3 years.

13. What country do you live in?

New Zealand

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

The thing is, it's the first time i'm gonna buy a gaming laptop, and i don't know much more than what i watch on yt reviews or else, so i made a list of my choices.

I'm currently living in New Zealand, if that's helpful for an answer, and my budget can go up to NZD 2300, but around 2000 would be great.

So, what i've found in my research is:

Acer Nitro 7 - GTX 1650 4gb - i7 9750H - 16gb ram - 256gb ssd + 2tb hdd - NZD2105

Asus Rog Strix g15 - GTX1650ti 4gb - i7 10750H - 16gb ram - 512gb ssd - NZD 2198

Asus TUF A15 - GTX 1660ti 4gb - R7 4800H - 16gb ram - 1tb ssd - NZD 2045

Asus TUF A15 - GTX 2060 6gb - R7 3750H - 16gb ram - 512gb ssd - NZD 2174

MSI GF63 - GTX1650ti MaxQ 4gb - i7 9750H - 8gb ram - 512gb ssd - NZD 1999

MSI GF65 - RTX 2060 6gb - i59300H - 16gb ram - 512gb ssd - NZD2099

There are another similar options, but with +/- ram or storage but no big changes.

which one would you recommend?

I'm obviously open to any other suggestion too.

Thank you very much in advance to everyone!

Last edited:
Solution
Ram and storage can be upgraded in the future so to get your feet wet, any of the laptops you buy now with the rams and storage options they have(now) are all good options. The only things you can not swap out in the future is the motherboard, the processor and the GPU since they are all one unit.

That being said, I'd ask you to look into the Asus TUF A15 that's equipped with the Ryzen processor and the RTX 2060. You are paying a slight premium when compared to the MSI unit but I've seen their support to be good on their laptop's/mobile computing devices end.

Steer clear of 8GB models since they aren't enough for today's multitasker and gamer(even on a desktop).

Lutfij

Titan
Ram and storage can be upgraded in the future so to get your feet wet, any of the laptops you buy now with the rams and storage options they have(now) are all good options. The only things you can not swap out in the future is the motherboard, the processor and the GPU since they are all one unit.

That being said, I'd ask you to look into the Asus TUF A15 that's equipped with the Ryzen processor and the RTX 2060. You are paying a slight premium when compared to the MSI unit but I've seen their support to be good on their laptop's/mobile computing devices end.

Steer clear of 8GB models since they aren't enough for today's multitasker and gamer(even on a desktop).

Reactions: Santupro14
Solution

Santupro14

Reputable
Jun 16, 2017

Thank you very much! I will take a look on the asus you mentioned then :)

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
https://www.cheapies.nz/tag/laptop

Wait for a sale on something in your price/spec range on Cheapies NZ. I'm a Kiwi in Australia and I sometimes check the NZ prices. Usually I find that NZ laptops are a fair bit more expensive than the same model in Australia.

What you could do is fly over to Australia once COVID finishes, buy a laptop from Australia (whatever is listed on OzBargain as being good value at that time). When you leave, at the airport you can claim a TRS refund of GST because you're a tourist and get a further 10% off.

Looks like you want to do some gaming.
Be aware that gaming laptops run hot, mainly because of the necessarily small coolers.
Pick the option with the strongest cooling.
If your games are fast action types, then opt for the stronger RTX2060 graphics option.
Otherwise, a GTX16xx might be a better choice.
All of the processor options are adequate.
Of perhaps more importance is the monitor size and quality.
IPS type screens give better images, and better screens will be brighter.
Can you see your choices in person?

Usually, laptop vendors stick it to you with ram and storage upgrades.
It is not a bad strategy to buy the base model and plan on a ram or ssd upgrade yourself.
Just check that the design allows you to do so.

If you do not need the portability of a laptop, you can get a better gaming desktop for a similar budget.

Santupro14

Reputable
Jun 16, 2017
Looks like you want to do some gaming.
Be aware that gaming laptops run hot, mainly because of the necessarily small coolers.
Pick the option with the strongest cooling.
If your games are fast action types, then opt for the stronger RTX2060 graphics option.
Otherwise, a GTX16xx might be a better choice.
All of the processor options are adequate.
Of perhaps more importance is the monitor size and quality.
IPS type screens give better images, and better screens will be brighter.
Can you see your choices in person?

Usually, laptop vendors stick it to you with ram and storage upgrades.
It is not a bad strategy to buy the base model and plan on a ram or ssd upgrade yourself.
Just check that the design allows you to do so.

If you do not need the portability of a laptop, you can get a better gaming desktop for a similar budget.

Hi! I am gonna play a little bit of everything, so i think that 2060 will be great, but maybe with 1660ti i'll be ok, it's not that i need to play everything in ultra settings or so.
About the screen, with a 15" it's more than enough, but i've read some reviews about the TUF that the ms response is very low and the brightness is not so good, but the hardware pack it's amazing (r7 4800h + 2060) for the price.

So, the thing is, which one is better to have a balance? I didn't find too many options in here besides the one i noted before, and not going up more than 2200nzd. I think what suits me is around 2900nzd... maybe is better to roll on the floor and cry hahahaha

I would love to have a desktop, never have an issue before, but im currently in a working holiday, so i am moving houses pretty often and i need the portability. I never imagined that there will be so many cons about laptops really...

Santupro14

Reputable
Jun 16, 2017
https://www.cheapies.nz/tag/laptop

Wait for a sale on something in your price/spec range on Cheapies NZ. I'm a Kiwi in Australia and I sometimes check the NZ prices. Usually I find that NZ laptops are a fair bit more expensive than the same model in Australia.

What you could do is fly over to Australia once COVID finishes, buy a laptop from Australia (whatever is listed on OzBargain as being good value at that time). When you leave, at the airport you can claim a TRS refund of GST because you're a tourist and get a further 10% off.

Thanks for the response!
I will check that page daily to see what comes up.
The option of flying over to Australia it's a little bit hard for me by the time so i will have to stick to the option of finding something in here.

TRENDING THREADS