HELP - Which powerline networking adapter should I buy?

miketech8

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018
Hi guys,

I just got my PC Build today which does not have wifi. I was wondering, based on the specifications and features which powerline network adapter should I go for out of the two? They both are same price...

Here:

1st one: D-Link DHP-P601AV PowerLine AV2, 1Gbps Dual Kit With AC Pass-through 1 x Gigabit Lan, SISO, QoS (https://www.dlink.com.au/home-solutions/DHP-P601AV-powerline-av2-1000-gigabit-passthrough-kit)

2nd one:
TP-Link PowerLine TL-PA4010PKIT 500Mbps Starter Kit w/ AC Pass-through, 1 x Lan (http://www.tp-link.com/au/products/details/cat-18_TL-PA4010PKIT.html)

I'm not a expert at analysing specs so thats why I am asking haha. I'm really after the best one meaning I'm after the one with best fast speeds with no/less interference. I currently am on Fiber internet.

Regarding the power saving thing, is there a way to disable this mode? I know for a fact that TP Link can do this, but I cannot find any articles or tutorials for D-Link that can disable the power saving mode..?

The reason for this is, I don't want any drop outs so I really want to disable this feature.

P.S. Many apologies for being a noob. Also, many apologies for asking you to help me, hope I did not cause any hassles :(.

Look forward to your guys responses :D.

Update for the D-Link DHP-P601AV PowerLine AV2, 1Gbps Dual Kit With AC Pass-through 1 x Gigabit Lan, SISO, QoS:
- I was doing a little snooping on it's manual(ftp://files.dlink.com.au/products/DHP-P601AV/Manuals/DHP-P601AV_B1_Manual_v2.00.pdf), and it mentioned "This device is an Energy Related Product (ErP) with High Network Availability (HiNA), and automatically switches to a powersaving
Network Standby mode within 1 minute of no packets being transmitted. If it is not needed during certain periods of
time, it can be unplugged to save energy." Should I be concerned for this?

I'm mostly going to be streaming Netflex with the family and gaming. Though, for surfing the web and Youtube so I hope this does not trigger the power saving mode...?

Solution
Id get whatever is cheaper, but I would buy a wifi adapter over both because they are super cheap, either a USB one or a PCIe card.

Couple things to keep in mind with powerline adapters.

1. You will never get anywhere near the advertised speeds, 100-200mbps is about what you can expect which is still plenty fast for gaming and streaming
2. If the building you are in is older expect performance to be very iffy.
3. Always plug them directly into the wall and not a power strip/surge-protector or UPS battery.

I would buy them from someplace with a good return in case they don't work so you can get a refund.
Id get whatever is cheaper, but I would buy a wifi adapter over both because they are super cheap, either a USB one or a PCIe card.

Couple things to keep in mind with powerline adapters.

1. You will never get anywhere near the advertised speeds, 100-200mbps is about what you can expect which is still plenty fast for gaming and streaming
2. If the building you are in is older expect performance to be very iffy.
3. Always plug them directly into the wall and not a power strip/surge-protector or UPS battery.

I would buy them from someplace with a good return in case they don't work so you can get a refund.

Solution

miketech8

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018

They're both the same price, well in NZ it is haha. So it's hard to choose. Are you able to do a rough explanation as to which one would "YOU' get? I'm not a expert at analysing specs so thats why I am asking haha. I'm really after the best one meaning I'm after the one with best fast speeds with no/less interference.

Also, I know TP-Link can disable power saving mode but D-Link I'm unsure..

Lastly, I was doing a little snooping on it's manual(ftp://files.dlink.com.au/products/DHP-P601AV/Manuals/DH...), and it mentioned "This device is an Energy Related Product (ErP) with High Network Availability (HiNA), and automatically switches to a powersaving. Network Standby mode within 1 minute of no packets being transmitted. If it is not needed during certain periods off time, it can be unplugged to save energy." Should I be concerned for this? I'm mostly going to be streaming Netflex with the family and gaming. Though, for surfing the web and Youtube so I hope this does not trigger the power saving mode...?

How well powerline networking works depends more on the wiring inside your house, than it does the brand of Powerline adapters. As stated above, try WiFi first. Switch to Powerline (or MoCA - ethernet over coaxial cable if your house doesn't use it for cable TV) as a backup plan.

You should only make a new build assuming it'll use Powerline if you've used Powerline at that power outlet in the past and are satisfied with its performance. The introduction of 5 GHz WiFi eliminated a lot of the interference problems due to 2.4 GHz only having three independent channels (and microwave ovens obliterating 2.4 GHz signals).

miketech8

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018

Richie, man you reply fast haha. Okay, no worries. I will get the TP-Link one :D. Lastly, is it "SAFE" to disable the power saving mode? I heard this is the reason why people have been having drop outs...? thoughts?

miketech8

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018

I cannot use Wifi because first I don't have a wifi card haha. Also, the modem is downstairs in the garage since the fibre guy installed the ONT there. In order for me to get internet, I need to use a powerline.