HELP! Whole system crashes and not sure why? HDD just stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCoolest2

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Hello all, I am in need of desperate help as I honestly have no idea what is going on. Let me fill you in on what's happened. Its a long read

So I was updating Overwatch (a game) and of course battle.net being the buggy client it is, was stuck once again on updating so I was going to do what I did last time when I found the solution, go to PROGRAMDATA, delete a folder, restart the client. But of course, "Oh, blah blah this is still in use", I go to task manager, go to a file called agent.exe, which is the clients update agent and click end process. Doesn't work. Click it again. Doesn't work. I try end process tree, doesn't work. I sign off of this windows account, log back in, nope, still there. I cut the folder out of the location, move it to my desktop (did this last time), make a copy of it and try deleting it. Still same message. I restart my computer, I finally delete the folder. I log into the client, now it says "loading account information.." then after restarting the client again it said Oops! Sorry, theres a problem,it gives me a link to a help page on Blizzards website

Firefox opens, freezes, system freezes, no response other then the mouse. I reset my computer
Open skype again, open firefox, boom crash.
Rinse and repeat.
So i went into safe mode, seemed to be "safe" there. I ran a chkdsk twice, with /r another time with /f. Didn't fix it. I ran CCleaner in safe mode and tried to clear temp files, fix registry errors.

Then rebooted. In normal windows I decided to see if other stuff opened. Skype opened, snipping tool, notepad, even malwarebytes. I scanned with malwarebytes, found 3 pieces of adware which apparently comes from google chrome, which I never use unless its to use rabb.it, a site where you can watch youtube, netflix etc with friends because it never works with firefox for some reason. I quarantined it, and again, still no use, launching steam caused the system to freeze AGAIN.

So what I noticed in these crashed my HDD light just stops, no blinking, no solid light, its just no light. The only light is the power light

So I figured maybe my HDD is starting to give out, its 5 years old I figured maybe its getting worn out, I occasionally get situations where it hangs at shutdown (every blue moon or so) (WD 500 gb HDD). I download WD's lifeguard program to analyze my HDD. I have another HDD btw, 1 TB but I use it to install mostly games there, not the OS or anything. So I was going to walk my dog, I leave the system to do the "smart test". I come back, it hasn't progressed, time reads 8:42pm, its 9 pm. -_-. It hung AGAIN. At that point it started at "checking cables" that was it, didn't even start the timer at 0:00:00.

I go into safe mode, I do the test, last 2 minutes and finishes saying its fine. Then I do the full test, its a deep test, fixes bad sectors, analyzes HDD life etc. Everything comes back good, says the drive is healthy. I was honestly very confused.

I boot back to normal windows and launch firefox. This time firefox says it needs to launch in safe mode, so I do that. No crash. I go into facebook, no crash. I was confused again. I opened up skype, steam, then I went into event viewer (i did before too, but couldnt really find anything atleast I thought was the cause of the problem). Steam opens, when I launch battle.net, it froze, then firefox, then the system, explorer.exe etc. -_-

I give up now trying to figure it out on my own

Keep in mind, I used CCleaner earlier in the day and did back up the registry at the time, I always do. After the battle.net mess, it detected some entry for it and fixed it.

I've also system restored to yesterdays date, didn't fix anything.

Also today I reinstalled Webroot Secure anywhere. i was working with their support a few weeks back about why a folder called WRData was 70 gb. After running a program I was sent, they saw the system was clean at the time and told me to reinstall the system and delete the folder. But I dont think thats it, since with the restore it should of put back the old restore.

When the system hangs, nothing responds, the mouse moves but thats it, ctrl alt del doesnt work, etc. If I go to press lets say end process in task manager if I had it opened, the button goes into the pressed position, then gets stuck. Nothing responds. HDD light is off.

Please help :(

PS. sfc /scannow found nothing and I took apart the case, cleaned out some of the dust building up and checked all the cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.