[SOLVED] HELP!!! Why are one of my CPU cored overheating?

Oct 21, 2020
Core Temp:
Core 1: 34c
Core 2: 37c
Core 3:25c
Core 4: 96c
Core 5: 27c
Core 6: 22c

Pc Specs: PREBUILT
I7-7800k
GTX 1080
16 Gb DDR4 ram
1 tb hd
225 gb ssd

Purchased in 2018

It's making my room really hot and I have been told it could be damaged or hurt by my computer. But when I run a heavy-duty game like red dead redemption and modern warfare goes down to 90. Please tell me what I have to do such as replacing it or anything like that.

Solution
Running a pc with high power components like that i7 and 1080ti is pretty much the same as running a hairdryer. You are going to get exhausted heat. Cpu/gpu coolers are fans blowing across a heatsink that's hot. The coolers don't kill the heat, they remove it from the heatsink, it's still there mostly inside the case, and thats what the case fans are for, bring in cooler air and shove the warmer air out into the room.

The reason you got varied results is simple. It's software. The Open Hardware is a 'one size fits all' generic software that's usually pretty ok. However, Coretemp is written specifically for reading cpu temps and the author has worked in conjunction with Intel and Amd techs in order to get as accurate as possible...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Use Coretemp, free and quick, very accurate and reliable. Verify the temps. I've never seen a single core hit that kind of temp, and it not radiating to several surrounding cores. Very suspicious results.

It's physically impossible by mechanical cooling systems to cool a cpu below ambient temp. Average cases run @ 10°C above ambient, just from gpu exhaust, chipsets etc heating the surrounding air. So unless your ambient temp in that room is somewhere around 10°C, those results of cores 3/ 5/6 at mid-low 20's are also suspect. Generally, a room at @ 22-23°C (@ 72-74°F) will see Intel cpu temps at idle @ 32-34°C with a decent aftermarket cooler, or closer to 40's °C for a stock rated cooler.

There is no 7800k. There's an i7-7700k, i7-8700k, i7-7800X. Any of the above are rather warm running, so if you are feeling a warm exhaust, then the obvious answer is that the cooler is doing its job somewhat decently.

Oct 21, 2020
Yeah sorry, I was mistaken its an I7 8700k. Then when downloading Coretemp it says normal temperatures but then why does my room get so hot when my computer is in my office. When testing this I moved my setup to another room and the same situation happened in that room.

Under load, it'd likely ~300 watts of radiated heat, with about 90-100 watts from the CPU (up to 135 watts if overlocked), and the remaining 200 watts of dissipated heat from from the GTX1080...

Put your hand on/near assorted exhaust fans under a gaming load. (Some GPUs vent into the case, some vent out the back, but, heat vented into the case is still vented out into any room, and, you could probably think of it as a hair dryer on low power....it will gradually warm a semi-confined space, especially in the summer. (Well south of the equator gets warm this time of year when everyone else in north is preparing for breaking out thermal underwear!)

Not sure what's up with the pic above, where a single core is 90+C...; is that one core always very high? (I'd suspect a bad sensor in CPU, but, that would be unrelated to your 'room warms up' issue...)

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020
Alright so how could I solve my room getting so hot in the summer. So the hardware that Karadjgne told me to do told me normal temperatures but my other software which is more common told me on average 96-87 degrees celsius.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Running a pc with high power components like that i7 and 1080ti is pretty much the same as running a hairdryer. You are going to get exhausted heat. Cpu/gpu coolers are fans blowing across a heatsink that's hot. The coolers don't kill the heat, they remove it from the heatsink, it's still there mostly inside the case, and thats what the case fans are for, bring in cooler air and shove the warmer air out into the room.

The reason you got varied results is simple. It's software. The Open Hardware is a 'one size fits all' generic software that's usually pretty ok. However, Coretemp is written specifically for reading cpu temps and the author has worked in conjunction with Intel and Amd techs in order to get as accurate as possible readings. Open Hardware did not.

And while you may believe that Open Hardware is common, for most of the general public, for those who are on a more intimate level of pc expertise and experience, there's only 3 software that's in any use. Coretemp, Ryzen Master and HWInfo (run sensors only or its a very complex report).

Solution
Oct 21, 2020
So there is nothing wrong with my pc or CPU? Also so what do you recommend I do for how hot my room is? I tried numerous fans and nothing seemed to help. Also, one quick question when I play intense games like Red Dead and Modern Warfare why does it crash sometimes is it ram or GPU? - Also its only a 1080 not a 1080ti.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing wrong at all. It was the software glitches on unreliable software freaking you out.

Can't help you with a hot room, sorry lol, it's open a window or turn on the air conditioning kinda thing.

There's multiple different 'crashes' as such. There's CTDT (crash to desk top) BSOD (blue screen of death) black screens, freezes etc. So depends on exactly why/what you mean by crashing.

Only place I know of to start looking for answers is in Windows - Event Viewer. Look for the Critical Errors.

Cause could be anything. Unstable ram, overheating cpu/gpu (remember that your software then did not give accurate results), driver conflicts, windows system conflicts, registry confusion errors, temp files interference etc.

I'd start with using CCleaner (piriform.com) and run the cleaner in default settings. Then run the registry cleaner (say YES to backups). Run Coretemp or HWInfo (sensors only and Not Hwmonitor) and check the max temps after gaming hard.

Make sure your motherboard chipset drivers are current, gpu drivers are clean.

Reactions: Sukhoi37