[SOLVED] Help, Win 10 20H2 Can't get update to work

sim8t3

Reputable
May 10, 2018
No matter what I do I can't get the update service to stay on I've been getting the message "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes." Update Troubleshooter doesn't fix it. SFC doesn't fix it I 've tried to restart it set it auto in services but it keeps disabling itself tried the net commands on elevated privelges won't allow it and in Safe Mode doesn't allow it either,tried it with and without windows defender enabled. I've tried updating to 21H1, didn't solve the problem so I reverted back to 20H2. Wit thout being able to have the update service running now only can I not get automatic updates I can't even install anything from Mictrososoft Store without gettering error 0x80070422, I'ved tried everything including Tweaking.com I'm afraid nothing short of a clean install will fix this but I really don't want to have to start from scratc if I don't have to..

Solution
shame you reverted 21H1 as you could have tried a repair install

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/fix-windows-10-repair-install

its odd sfc won't fix it. did it find anything wrong it couldn't fix?

how did you update to 21H1? as if update service borked it wouldn't work.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

once you have USB, put it in the borked PC, while windows is running
press WIn + E key (file explorer)
navigate to the USB drive
run setup
click update this PC
follow wizard and it will restart PC and install 21H1.

That should replace any broken files. Version updates replace windows so should fix bugs like that.

Colif

Win 11 Master

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

run setup
click update this PC

That should replace any broken files. Version updates replace windows so should fix bugs like that.

Solution

sim8t3

Reputable
May 10, 2018

run setup
click update this PC

I was having more problems with 21H1, so I reverted. No SFC found no inconsistencies. I updated with a ISO created with Windows Media Creation. After I ran a batch file that fixes reg to allows reinstall and keep everything, before that wouldn’t let me. Update manual installer is borked too I’ll give your instructions a shot and let you know the results. Thanks.

sim8t3

Reputable
May 10, 2018
So I did the upgrade to 21H1, then did a Repair Install, updates looked like it was fixed only to go back to it's problem, I don't know what to do at this point, it's making imposslibe for me to install Microsoft Store programs I keep getting the error Code: 0x80070422 and the troubleshooter can't fix it, any ideas or suggestion other than a clean install? Thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master
when you ran sfc, did you do both these steps?

right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

type SFC /scannow and press enter

once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC again after 2nd command, if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

store problems are difficult as a lot of the times SFC won't see the problem.

this might help - https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-windows-10-update-errors-setupdiag/

sim8t3

Reputable
May 10, 2018
Not exactly, I ran SFC in command prompt elevated priveleges instead of Powrshell, I can try that, and the command you mentioned, but I thnk I have fixed the update issue and what finally did it was a Clean Boot, so now I need to find out the culprit that was causing the problem should be a matter of process of elimination., At least now now my Microsoft Store is working as it should. Thanks

sim8t3

Reputable
May 10, 2018
The Culprit was a crappy program called "Stop Updates10Guard" like the other victim I read about, I do not recall installing it, it most likely installed along with something else, the only way to uninstall it, is to use the StopWindowsUpdate installer and then uninstall it. solved problem link for anyone else experiencing the same issue. My problem is finally gone!