[SOLVED] HELP!!! Win 10 desktop icons slow respond to my mouse cursor when I pre-selected it

Aug 19, 2020
Hi, I have a bit of a problem with my windows 10 desktop icons, when I hovering over the icons, the transparent rectangle around the icons responded very slow when I pre-select one of my desktop icons, especially when I move the cursor over the icons quickly.
My taskbar icons and all of the apps that located in the start menu are just fine. This problem only happened to the desktop icons.

For example case:
Let's say when I move through 4 icons, some of the icons don't show the transparent rectangle (pre-selected icons)

My problem is similiar to this guy's thread,
and there is a link in that thread that will show a short video of my problem, the video shows the exact same problem I'm having right now
Do you guys know how to fix this problem?

Last edited:
Solution
if it doesn't happen in safe mode

try setting PC up for a clean boot - all clean boot does is removes any programs from startup that aren't made by Microsoft
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

if it still occurs,
Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it...
Aug 19, 2020
The only icon I have on my desktop is a recycle bin. On that note, is it possible for you to include a video of the issue you're stating? Also note the version for your OS. Desktop or laptop?
You can take a look at that guy's thread, and click the link that he posted there, there's a short video of it and it shows the problem that I'm having right now.

My device is desktop and I just recently updated to the 20H2 version and my OS build is 19042.630
Note that I'm having this problem before updating the OS, I updated the OS because I was thinking it could fix the problem, but unfortunately it's not.

Colif

Win 11 Master
See if this helps

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

A better example of the behaviour... Lutfi, why you not answer them lol? - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/mouse-highlight-lag.3481720/

Does it happen in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020
See if this helps

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

A better example of the behaviour... Lutfi, why you not answer them lol? - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/mouse-highlight-lag.3481720/

Does it happen in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode
Can I use command prompt to do it? I don't know why but I think I don't have access to use powershell

Colif

Win 11 Master
yes, but 2nd command is different in command prompt
open command Prompt (with admin rights)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
and press enter

spacing is important on 2nd command, if its not right it will give you an error.

its exact same function, just ina different format.

Aug 19, 2020
yes, but 2nd command is different in command prompt
open command Prompt (with admin rights)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
and press enter

spacing is important on 2nd command, if its not right it will give you an error.

its exact same function, just ina different format.
I've done all of it, the SFC /scannow command said "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"
And the DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command said "The restore operation completed successfully"

But it still didn't fix the problem
EDIT: and I tried to restart my computer after that, and just the same as before the problem still persist.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020
restart not needed if it didn't do anything.

Have you looked in safe mode to see if it happens in there?
I haven't tried it
Can you tell me a bit what safe mode does? I'm not really familiar with it, the only thing I know is that when you run your PC in safe mode, it will stop some windows services, am I right?
And please explain me what I have to do if the problem still persists in safe mode, and what I have to do when the problem is fixed in safe mode?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Safe mode only runs the drivers that came with windows meaning its safe. Settings may not work there either. But its handy to test if the problem you are seeing is software or hardware.

If it happens in safe mode, it shows its not a 3rd party driver causing it and since sfc/dism found no problems, it is likely hardware
If it doesn't happen in safe mode, it can mean its a driver or startup program causing it, or that its still hardware and since safe mdoe is so light on hardware, its not happening.

lets test it ands see what result is before working out what to do next.

My guess is its software.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if it doesn't happen in safe mode

try setting PC up for a clean boot - all clean boot does is removes any programs from startup that aren't made by Microsoft
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

if it still occurs,
Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

Solution
Aug 19, 2020
Safe mode only runs the drivers that came with windows meaning its safe. Settings may not work there either. But its handy to test if the problem you are seeing is software or hardware.

If it happens in safe mode, it shows its not a 3rd party driver causing it and since sfc/dism found no problems, it is likely hardware
If it doesn't happen in safe mode, it can mean its a driver or startup program causing it, or that its still hardware and since safe mdoe is so light on hardware, its not happening.

lets test it ands see what result is before working out what to do next.

My guess is its software.
So if it still happens in safe mode, it's most likely to be the hardware issue? And if it's not, then it might be the software issue?

Apr 30, 2023
Umm... I know that im 3 years late to reply to this question but im gonna reply anyways.

This happens to everybody when they have a lot of icons on their desktop. The better your computer is the less it will happen but if you have a bad PC then it will happen even if you have only like 10 icons on your desktop. What I do to fix this is I make a folder on my desktop which you can name whatever you want (I name it "stuff") and put apps that i dont need in my desktop in it.

I dont think there is any other way to fix this other than getting a faster computer but if anyone finds any other solution pls post an answer here because im interested to know aswell.

Last edited: