Question Help: Windows 10 Slows Down When Plugging in Flash Drive

bgphilbin

Reputable
Oct 20, 2018
www.metropolisplus.com
Good morning -

I'm running Windows 10 on a 2-year-old PC (HP Pavilion Desktop 590-P00700, Intel Core i7-8700, 12GB RAM, DDR4-2666, PC4-21300 MB/s, 1TB Hard Drive). Last year, when backing up some data, I noticed that the PC slowed down drastically whenever I plugged in an external hard drive or USB thumb drive. I purchased some new hardware and the same thing occurred when I plugged in the new stuff.

Doesn't matter what kind of storage media I'm plugging in or how small the storage size is. Also doesn't matter which USB port I use (front, back, 3.0, 2.0, whatever). All ports are standard and I have not modified the PC in any way.

It's bad enough that I have to wait about 60-90 seconds every time I move the mouse for it to respond, so I can see where I ended up. It's infuriating that this should occur and I didn't notice it until the PC was outside of its 1-year warranty. Now I need to troubleshoot it myself.

Problem is, I don't even know where to begin. If there's some information I can provide that will be helpful, I'd be grateful for someone to let me know and I'll provide it ASAP.

Please help, I can't find solutions to a similar issue anywhere.

Pax, harmonia,

BGPhilbin

bgphilbin

Reputable
Oct 20, 2018
www.metropolisplus.com
According to Task Manager, no change in Disk, Memory or CPU usage when any of these are plugged in. Please note that my other HP PC (HP Pavilion 590-p0007c, very similar setup and both computers are desktops, BTW) has no such issue with any of these drives.