HELP: Windows 7 random freeze, force restart needed almost every day! :\

Monty_Python

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
What's up guys :)

I'm having a problem with either Windows 7 or possibly my PC hardware which is causing my comp to just freeze instantly out the blue. I'm talking like the mouse stops working and then everything on the screen stops working. Waiting for almost an hour doesn't seem to un-freeze the machine and each time I have to frustratingly do a hard reset :(

Num lock/Caps lock buttons stop working also, so there is completely no activity or response from my PC, although the machine stays on and the fans still work etc...

Things that may help you to identify the problem:

**OS (Windows 7 64-bit) is installed on a 120GB SSD drive.

**Event Viewer says that 8 days ago (27th May 2013) "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \Device\HarddiskVolume8."

** Also I have been having problems with 2 drivers on my machine, the NVIDIA drivers always seem to stop working and crash my GUI (They always successfully recover according to Windows) But the display driver crashes at least twice a week, and they're all the latest, up to date NVIDIA drivers directly from their website.

**The 2nd driver is for my TP-LINK wireless adapter (Model TL-WN822N) whenever I re-connected the adapter the machine would instantly blue screen on me, and give me a 2057 Locale ID upon login. (This has stopped happening now).

** Whenever I login the machine takes at least 60 seconds to "unfreeze", I can keep loading the start menu and the mouse hover still works on the icons, but the Windows network icon freezes during the "detecting network" animation, you know the little blue circle that spins when loading wireless networks? After about a minute or so I can finally open programs and it finally connects to the network. (I'm not sure if this is related to my problem, although it doesn't really help!)

I'm not sure what the exact cause is, it could be the SSD or the combination of suspect drivers making the comp freeze. During Cinema 4D usage the computer sometimes does freeze for like 20 mins, and then when it comes back on the display drivers have crashed :\

Any help would be much appreciated, as I'm not entirely sure where to start with this one!

Thanks folks :)

Monty_Python

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
System specs:

====MOTHERBOARD====
ASUS Sabertooth Z77

====CPU====
Intel i7 3770

====GPU====
(2x) MSI GTX 560Ti Twin Frzr II (In SLI)

====PSU====
OCZ 1,000W Gold Series

====RAM====
12GB Mushkin Redline

====STORAGE====
1x 120GB SSD (Windows 7)
1x 34GB HDD
1x 35GB HDD

The_Doctor

Honorable
May 19, 2013

1. How long ago did you last run a virus scan? i
2. Have you run Chkdsk on the specified volume?
3. How much space is free on it?
3. Have you tried doing a system restore from before problems arose?

Let's start with the obvious:
**Event Viewer says that 8 days ago (27th May 2013) "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \Device\HarddiskVolume8."
Have you run CHKDSK as indicated? If so, what was the output at the end?

Monty_Python

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Doing a virus scan as we speak....

As for CHDSK, I did run it before but I can't remember if I used the right letter (/r /f etc...) which one should I use? And what exactly do I need to type in command prompt??

There is only 20GB left on the C: Drive (The SSD one) and I delete previous restore points to save space on the drive, I highly doubt there will be one from a while back, because this has been happening for the last few weeks now (And the NVIDIA and TP-LINK driver issues for a good 9 months at least) Will post results of Virus scan when complete :)

Monty_Python

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
OK, I typed in exactly what you said and got this, I think It's because I'm currently using C: drive...

"Access denied as you do not have sufficient privileges"

"You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode."

Monty_Python

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Computer seems to be virus-free:

Scan completed

Number of scanned objects: 453956
Number of infected objects: 0
Number of cleaned objects: 0

Monty_Python

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
OK, CHKDSK kept freezing at 25%-26% but got there in the end. Volume is clean it said, and then booted to login screen. Still taking a good 60 secs for the windows network icon to unfreeze before I can load any programs :\

Marc Sayer

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
I am having virtually the exact same problem. Sometimes it freezes for a while then resumes. Sometimes I get a message saying the graphics driver stopped and restarted. Sometimes the computer freezes and then suddenly shuts off and reboots. This is starting to drive me postal. I see lots of folks with similar problems and no solutions. And all MS seems to offer is the same old non answers. The one commonality seems to be Win 7 and mostly 7 x64. Sometimes I can go for hours or a day with no problem. Sometimes it's a matter of minutes. I have a sneaking suspicion it has to do with some MS updates. I did run problem free for 3 days before I started installing the updates. I did uninstall and block IE10 and did uninstall a few other updates that were creating problems for most people. Thing is after each fresh install I am faced with this list of hundreds of updates and I can't find any good source for a list of good and bad updates or just a list of "do not install these updates". What I keep getting is that I should try each update and if it causes problems, uninstall. For hundreds of updates that will take weeks. That's just ridiculous. Anyway here's my hardware.

Home built computer, running 7 x64 Ultimate. Clean install of 7. Lots of free disk space (857 GB free right now). I have the latest drivers and the most recent bios. I run AVG 2013 free and Malwartebytes. I am virus and malware free as far as any normal human can tell. :) I have run chkdsk. I have tried a system restore and several fresh installs. This same hardware ran flawlessly under XP pro 32bit.

MB - Intel DG965OT
CPU - Intel Q6600
6GB pc2 6400 memory (2 x 2 GB of Samsung and 2 x 1 GB of OCZ) Have also run with just the Samsung and had the same issues.
PSU - Enlight 420 watt (I know, it hasn't got a lot of cushion but this hardware all ran fine with it under XP and I have this problem even if I pare the hardware down to where the PSU is more than adequate.)
Graphics card - Nividia GTS450
C drive - Hitachi Ultrastar 1 TB - checked with several programs and it is 100%
RAID 1 array with 2 WD 1.5TB WD15EARX using the onboard Intel RAID (have the same problems with these removed). Checked with several programs and these are both 100% I am running Intel Rapid Storage Technology software to monitor the array.
Onboard gigabit Ethernet with no connectivity problems
I am running a floppy and a SATA DVD-ROM I have tested without the DVD and still have the problems. I may be wrong but I can not imagine the floppy being the culprit, besides the problems occur when the floppy is powered down and unused.
I am running FanSpeed to monitor temps and manage the fans. And yes I know that there is an issue with temps in FanSpeed. I verified and adjusted to actual temps. I have an older Antec tower case with lots of fans and great airflow and I have never had an overheat issue. No overclocking at all.

So what have I missed? :)

Monty_Python

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

Are you using the latest 320.18 NVIDIA GeForce driver by any chance??

Nikkeftw

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
We are a great deal of people having this exact problem. What ive noticed between all of us, is we have QUAD core CPU's. My old Core2Duo used the exact same OS, and this never happened once. I see people have done like my self, testing their computer in any way thinkable. People who seem to know a great deal about computers, still they find no answers. When it happens to me, it is when I am browsing the internet, with no music or videos running in the background. ANY load, and it NEVER happens. Only when i f.x. read articles on the internet, without VLC or YouTube running.

Ive been looking for answers since i made my new machine 2 months ago, and today I found several people blaming the USB power-save mode, that allows Windows to shut off USB power. This, in combination with certain QUAD core motherboard might be what is doing it to us.

Try this:
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Mice-and-Pointing-Devices/Fix-USB-Mouse-for-Vista-and-Windows-7-Freeze/td-p/404740
Ive done this to my computer, and now im testing. Ill report back in a couple of days, or, as soon as, IF, it happens again.

JackStewarts

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009

Hello,
I'm having the same problem as you guys. I'm currently running windows 8 but it also happens on windows 7. Here are the spec of my computer:
i7 3770
ge-force gtx 660
MB GA-h61m-ds2
PSU corsair gs 600
2TB seagate HD

The description of my problem is exactly the same as Marc Sayer's. I've read many posts about ramdom computer freezeing but none were as similar to mine as Mark Sayer's, even the driver stopped working message also happens to me. I've experienced this problem since i bought the computer at the beggining of the year. The PSU has already been replaced two times and that didn't solve the problem. Last time it was replaced the problem was seemingly gone but has returned recently after i formated the HD. I was wondering whether it's a problem with intel rapid storage technology or maybe a power saving config in the bios or windows. I think i didn't have it installed before, when the problem seemed to be gone. Also what config are you using for the sata devices in the bios, ide or ahci? Mine is set to ahci now but i don't remember whether it was set to ide before. I think i'm gonna uninstall intel rapid storage driver and see what happens.
Also have any of you found a way to solve these ramdom freezeings?

Thank you, guys :)