[HELP] Windows 8.1 "Boot MGR Not Found"

beegeepee

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Hello everyone!

First off my SDD that is not working right now was using Windows 8.1. Now to what happened

So, I was trying to help my brother fix his hard drive and ended up messing mine up.

I wanted to delete the partition on his hard drive because it wasn't working. So I hooked it up to my PC and went to delete it (via disk management). For some reason it wouldn't give me the "delete volume" option. I noticed both his and my harddrive were "active".

I right clicked my partition and pressed "Mark Partition as Active" it warned me not to do so unless it was the partition which the operating system was using, which it was.

My plan was to make mine active and disable his hoping it would allow me to delete his. So, I restarted the computer went into my bios and made sure his was disabled then proceeded with the restart.

This is when I got the error message "Boot MGR is Missing". I messed around with my bios a bunch. Removed all hard drives except my own. Restored bios to default etc. Nothing seems to work.

Is there anything I can do to fix this or did I corrupt some files/mess up my registries?

I unfortunately do not have a Windows 8.1 recover disk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BeeGeePee

Solution
If you do not have a Recovery disk then chances are you have a Recovery partition. If you somehow have neither, here is some instructions on creating a Win 8.1 ISO (link at bottom). Then you can burn your own disk and create a repair disk as well. I would bet all you need is a repair disk, other then that you'll have to reformat.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/get-the-iso-you-need-to-create-your-own-windows-81-dvd/

Dragonburn

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
it is possible that when you introduced another active drive with its own MBR, it might have confused your system and messed up your boot sector, or when you set your drive as active, it may have tried to create a new MBR and delete the existing one... The only real advice that can offer at this time is to re-install the OS, as it is almost impossible to recover once the boot sector has been corrupted or damaged.

PinchedNerve

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
If you do not have a Recovery disk then chances are you have a Recovery partition. If you somehow have neither, here is some instructions on creating a Win 8.1 ISO (link at bottom). Then you can burn your own disk and create a repair disk as well. I would bet all you need is a repair disk, other then that you'll have to reformat.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/get-the-iso-you-need-to-create-your-own-windows-81-dvd/

Solution

beegeepee

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

How do I access my Recovery Partition?