HELP! windows media centre has hijacked my system!

chubs87

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Ever had one of those days?

a short explanation of my problem.......in short, windows media centre has hijacked my system and has it by the cojones, so to speak.

my wife, whilst checking her facebook page (Slow bitter death to facebook!) has clicked on something or rather, and my guess is it was some application (who Knows What?!) and proceded to right click, then has clicked "open with : windows media centre. what happened next was, as an avid user of my beloved computer, Catastrophic.

All applications, Games, system processes (things like system restore and most elements of my control panel) etc, have been taken over by by the vile application henceforth know as WMC.

all icons have been turned into little WMC icons. Opening up the game folders and trying to run them by their respective launchers has failed......instead only opening up multiple instances of WMC.

the same applies to everything now, IE, google chrome (to register on tom's and post this i had to find an old html floating about and go through there!), system restore, most of the control panel, regedit, CHKDSK, all other media players, my beautiful games etc.

For me this Menace has effectively "bricked" my system. help me tom's hardware, your my only hope.

The following remedies have been tryed and have so far failed:

1. System Restore (failed, WMC has blocked)
2. stopping all instances of WMC services turned off (ineffective)
3. 'Upgrade re-install of windows 7 (failed miserably)
4.banning and turning off WMC via GPEDIT (WMC stops showing up, now i've got delightfull little admin messages telling me i can't use <SERVICE> because WMC is blocked)
5. endless hours of searching tech forums to see if this has happened to anyone else (it hasn't)
6. turning off WMC via "turn off windows processes" in control panel.

As a new user, i didn't know where to post this, seemed like as good a place as any.
i'm in dire need. i'm appealing to your collective wisdom forum as someone who needs their computer for work.

any help, ideas, constructive critism and advice would be greatly appreciated, if only for an intersting case study of built in windows components or the evil's of social networking.
if you have any solutions please post, i would rather not backup my files and clean reinstall OS if i don't have to.
Thanks for listening,
Mr Chubs.

SPECS:
Windows 7 ultimate
ASUS M4A78LT-M LE Motherboard
4 gb Kingston ram
Evga Gtx460 GPU
Corsair TX750 PSU

dunno if that helps or not

(ps, hopefully i'm not shooting myself in the foot here, but while i have been building and using computers for years, the so called 'L33t' out there would not be insulting me by calling me a noob. laymans terms would be greatly appreciated)

arges86

Distinguished
wow
i've never heard of that issue before...
interesting.

the first thing i would think of is to use your Windows disk and do a repair (in the bottom left corner of the screen after you select the language.)
boot from the Windows disk and see if that helps
Usually a repair will restore system files to their original state, so maybe that can help

lbod004

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013

It's been a few years since this was posted, but I now have same problem. Everything opens in Media Center. Explorer, notepad, system recovery, etc. Was trying to open software on an external hard drive, wouldn't open, somehow got option to open with Media Center, and now the problem. Help please. It's my visiting daughter's laptop1

lbod004

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
It's been a few years since this was posted, but I now have same problem. Everything opens in Media Center. Explorer, notepad, system recovery, etc. Was trying to open software on an external hard drive, wouldn't open, somehow got option to open with Media Center, and now the problem. Help please. It's my visiting daughter's laptop1

chubs87

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

hey lbod004!
unfortunately the only solution i ever came up with for that doozy of a problemo was a full re-install of windows 7. Hopefully you have backed up your data (like i didn't :( ). I did spend quite a few hours on searching for answers but it was not to be. perhaps someone yet will be able to rescue your computer from the vile clutches of WMC! gl +hf!

TRENDING THREADS