Question Help with 16 PCIE cable to PSU

Apr 1, 2019
So I bought rtx 2080 and it needs 2 x6+2 cables and evga has total 14 so I bought a cable for pci e 2 x 6+2 and the cable doesn’t fit in PSU to VGA 2 or 3 it fits to CPU 2 can I plug in to CPU 2 ? And use it or do I have to get new cable? Or PSU? Help:(

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Can you clarify? I cannot parse most of this post. What is your exact power supply? Most new EVGA power supplies should have two PCIE 6+2 cables. You cannot just buy a random modular cable and stuff it in a power supply; pinouts are not standardized on the power supply end and if you can squeeze some cable you bought into a power supply, you may destroy your equipment as a result.

Reactions: boju

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu and pcie have different pin shapes and wont fit each other. You most likely got a cpu cable. Don't force or tempt to power the graphics card from cpu.

What psu model do you have?

Psu's cable pinouts can often differ so be very weary using cables not original to the psu. There is a good chance an aftermarket pcie cable you get has it's wires arranged differently and cause a short.

Apr 1, 2019
Can you clarify? I cannot parse most of this post. What is your exact power supply? Most new EVGA power supplies should have two PCIE 6+2 cables. You cannot just buy a random modular cable and stuff it in a power supply; pinouts are not standardized on the power supply end and if you can squeeze some cable you bought into a power supply, you may destroy your equipment as a result.
I have EVGA 750w bq but I throw all the cables away 3 year ago and I just got my new rtx 2080 and it needs 2x 6+2 but this one has fixed 6 and 6+2 so total 14 so I bought Corsair dual 8pin pci e to vga but looks like the patterns of the pin in EVGA vga and Corsair 8pin are not fitting

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You can't just use whatever cable you want. You need to buy a cable that's specifically for the EVGA BQ 750. That typically means contacting the manufacturer or buying aftermarket cables that are clearly labeled as having the pinout for the exact PSU in question.

You're lucky it didn't fit as there's a high chance that you would no longer own an RTX 2080 as a result.

I'm not sure what a "PCIE to VGA" is, so you're going to have to explain if this is something else you're talking about. PCIE is the slot that communicates between the motherboard and the graphics card. VGA are older display ports and if your RTX 2080 has a VGA port, it's a fake 2080; Nvidia has long since stopped including these ports on their GPUs.

Reactions: boju
Apr 1, 2019
Cpu and pcie have different pin shapes and wont fit each other. You most likely got a cpu cable. Don't force or tempt to power the graphics card from cpu.

What psu model do you have?

Psu's cable pinouts can often differ so be very weary using cables not original to the psu. There is a good chance an aftermarket pcie cable you get has it's wires arranged differently and cause a short.
So I have EVGA 750w bq and I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N5EM9MH?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title this form amazon

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

I'm aware of that. They're for that PSU and ones that may have the same manufacturer/platform.

And again, you're fortunate they didn't fit as it's likely you'd now have a pile of scrap metal rather than an RTX 2080. Pinouts on the PSU end of modular cables are not standardized in the industry.

You either need to obtain power cables that work for this exact power supply or you need to buy a new power supply.

Apr 1, 2019
I'm aware of that. They're for that PSU and ones that may have the same manufacturer/platform.

And again, you're fortunate they didn't fit as it's likely you'd now have a pile of scrap metal rather than an RTX 2080. Pinouts on the PSU end of modular cables are not standardized in the industry.

You either need to obtain power cables that work for this exact power supply or you need to buy a new power supply.
Ok thanks I guess I will buy new power supply
You can't just use whatever cable you want. You need to buy a cable that's specifically for the EVGA BQ 750. That typically means contacting the manufacturer or buying aftermarket cables that are clearly labeled as having the pinout for the exact PSU in question.

You're lucky it didn't fit as there's a high chance that you would no longer own an RTX 2080 as a result.

I'm not sure what a "PCIE to VGA" is, so you're going to have to explain if this is something else you're talking about. PCIE is the slot that communicates between the motherboard and the graphics card. VGA are older display ports and if your RTX 2080 has a VGA port, it's a fake 2080; Nvidia has long since stopped including these ports on their GPUs.
I didn’t know that you need to buy

ok I guess I will buy new power supply but don’t you connect pci e 2 x 6+8 to graphic card and connect to VGA? In the back of the PSU it said VGA 2 and 3 ? Sorry I am not good at explaining bad at English