Help with 3570k overclock

revolultrablue

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
3570k, Best I can get is 4.2 with a vcore of 1.25... I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or just did not win the silicon lottery on this one.

Looking for any tips. The chip is air cooled and heat isnt an issue.

Extreme4 z77 motherboard

16 gb dd3 ram

1080ti

Solution
I never said that it isn't ideal. It just seems like you want to push further, so what I'm saying is you do have the voltage headroom to do so.

revolultrablue

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
@ TechyinAZ So would you say that my overclock would not be ideal? Not enough mhz, vcore. Any more advice you could give? I wondered about just accepting it as conservative but it seems that those vcores are a little high for 4.2 mhz

@jojesa yeah i do. But this thing wont even boot 4.4 and i'm a little hesitant about messing with vcore given the .125 value was given by the auto setting of my bios.

There's no such thing as too much voltage for a given frequency. Overclocking doesn't make any standards. It's whatever your CPU can do, it can do.

Now sure, if your pumping 1.4v just to get a stable 4.2ghz, something that insane I'd argue that sure that's a bit too much voltage since nearly all other CPUs don't need that voltage for a lower frequency like 4.2ghz.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I have a 3570k sitting on an Asus p8z77-v LE. It's also sat on an msi mpower z77, so I know it's not a mobo issue. Currently it's at 4.3GHz at 1.114v . It's always been at 4.3GHz. It will not do 4.4GHz even at 1.45v on either board, although my i7-3770K had no issues at 4.9GHz.

It's not the vcore as such. You could probably lower vcore considerably since Ivy-Bridge will run at 4.2GHz on bios default settings.

There's more than just bumping the multiplier. There's LLC, there's eco settings that'll kill OC, there's quality of the psu, ability of the mobo, and above all there's the silicon lottery. While 4.2GHz or even my 4.3GHz is low on the totem pole, it's not unheard of. Intel only guarantees the cpu will run at rated speeds, that includes turbo, but any and all OC levels and ability are totally pot luck.