Question Help with 5800x Ryzen Master

muttsang

Reputable
May 28, 2018
Hello all,
I just started my career in game programming and we have to use pretty heavy stuff like the Unreal Engine where we have to compile the source quite a lot. This took a very long time (sometimes upto 5/6 hours) with my Ryzen 7 2700x CPU and so I've just upgraded my PC with a Ryzen 7 5800x CPU.

I'm using a stock Wraith Prism cooler for now as I'll need to save up some money for a better cooler and I've noticed immediately the temps are higher than my old CPU. For instance during idle, the temps range from 35 to 40 degree Celsius and when I open the file explorer it goes to around 50-56 degree Celsius. I don't think the temp should jump to 50 by just opening the explorer.

I also am seeing a feature called the "Curve Optimizer" and "Eco Mode" in Ryzen Master which I have no idea what it does. Could anyone recommend me good Ryzen Master settings for my CPU please? I'd prefer using the Precision Boost Overdrive as well.

My specs are: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
Motherboard: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard
RAM: 32 GB
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Thank you

Last edited:
It's expected for Ryzen to jump in temperature when doing something because typically the sensor that gets reported is the one that reports the hottest sensor. Ryzen's are set to aggressively boost by default, though with a registry modification, you can enable an option in the Power configuration setting to not be aggressive. In any case, that aggressive boosting causes one core to heat up really fast. As far as Curve Optimizer and Eco Mode goes...

Curve Optimizer adjusts the V-F curve of the processor. That is, it's the frequency the processor will push to for a given voltage. This is primarily advertised as an undervolting feature, which can help decrease power consumption without sacrificing performance. A decrease in power consumption means a decrease in heat generated. You can also adjust the upper limit of the Turbo Frequency, though the processor may not actually get there depending on what's going on.

Eco mode sets the power cap (PPT) to something lower. I don't know what it is for 105W TDP processors, but for 65W ones, it drops it to 45W.

Hello all,
I just started my career in game programming and we have to use pretty heavy stuff like the Unreal Engine where we have to compile the source quite a lot. This took a very long time (sometimes upto 5/6 hours) with my Ryzen 7 2700x CPU and so I've just upgraded my PC with a Ryzen 7 5800x CPU.

I'm using a stock Wraith Prism cooler for now as I'll need to save up some money for a better cooler and I've noticed immediately the temps are higher than my old CPU. For instance during idle, the temps range from 35 to 40 degree Celsius and when I open the file explorer it goes to around 50-56 degree Celsius. I don't think the temp should jump to 50 by just opening the explorer.

I also am seeing a feature called the "Curve Optimizer" and "Eco Mode" in Ryzen Master which I have no idea what it does. Could anyone recommend me good Ryzen Master settings for my CPU please? I'd prefer using the Precision Boost Overdrive as well.

Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Thank you
5000 series Ryzen are allowed up to 90c (65 - 70c for earlier models) without loosing boost performance or throttling,that's where most performance comes from.

Hello all,

Thank you
First thing to do is get off the Wraith Prism cooler onto something much, much better. Ryzen CPU's are so temperature sensitive for boosting that alone can give you a significant performance improvement. You'll also need better cooling if you start fiddling around with PBO settings.

Simply, Curve Optimizer is a way to undervolt only the high-end of the V/F curve, for each core individually if you want. Ryzen CPU's will briefly spike voltage very high (up to 1.5V) when boosting to maximum specc'd clocks. Undervolting at the high frequency end of the curve can keep core cooler without hurting stability with a voltage that's too low at the low frequency end of the curve. The effect of it is to increase how frequently it boosts and how long it remains boosted, with a considerable improvement in performance. Temperature itself won't probably be much affected since the boost algorithm seems to be temperature-seeking.

Eco-Mode is a way to lower performance and save energy.

TRENDING THREADS