[SOLVED] help with 6pin connecter

Nov 22, 2021
so i bought xfx rx 560 and for some reason it came with 6pin connector now it only draws 75w and the pcie can provide 75w is it okay if i just plug it in without the 6pin and not having a problems ???
also a follow-up question ( if i cant will it be okay if i use single molex into 6pin ?

Solution
No, it will most likely require the 6 pin to be present to function. While a RX 560 is rated for 75W. Some factories make OC models. Which are given extra overhead for overclocking or a factory overclock.

Generally, if your PSU doesn't have a PCIe header. You shouldn't use it with an adapter to give you a 6 pin connector. Since it likely can't handle the load. If you do go ahead anyways. Keep the two molex on different cables. Don't try to use two molex on the same line.
No, it will most likely require the 6 pin to be present to function. While a RX 560 is rated for 75W. Some factories make OC models. Which are given extra overhead for overclocking or a factory overclock.

Generally, if your PSU doesn't have a PCIe header. You shouldn't use it with an adapter to give you a 6 pin connector. Since it likely can't handle the load. If you do go ahead anyways. Keep the two molex on different cables. Don't try to use two molex on the same line.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
so i bought xfx rx 560 and for some reason it came with 6pin connector now it only draws 75w and the pcie can provide 75w is it okay if i just plug it in without the 6pin and not having a problems ???
also a follow-up question ( if i cant will it be okay if i use single molex into 6pin ?

Only if you like fires.

What exact PSU is this? I can't imagine any PSU that doesn't even have a PCIE connector that I'd trust to power anything more expensive than a bowl of chocolate pudding.

InvalidError

Titan
I've owned 2 XFX RX560s with a 6 pin specifically and neither would display without the 6 pin. There is even a light to indicate if the 6 pin is plugged in or not.
I don't know about XFX's RX560s specifically. The RX580 I repaired a few weeks ago did display the power cable message when I forgot to plug in its 8-pins. A GPU only needs 15-20W of total board power to produce static output using the legacy character generator and a few lines of code in the vBIOS initialization sequence should be cheaper than LED circuitry on millions of boards.

I don't know about XFX's RX560s specifically. The RX580 I repaired a few weeks ago did display the power cable message when I forgot to plug in its 8-pins. A GPU only needs 15-20W of total board power to produce static output using the legacy character generator and a few lines of code in the vBIOS initialization sequence should be cheaper than LED circuitry on millions of boards.
I have seen that message before on other cards. I think it varies on a brand to brand basis. But that being said I don't think my XFX 560 ever displayed anything without a 6 pin.

As far as LED circuitry, its just a resistor and an led that gets powered by the 6 pin. It probably costs next to nothing, and I know for a fact that at least both of the RX560 XFX cards I had featured it.

But really it doesn't matter. You need the 6 pin for the system to function as it should.