help with a laptop that didn't shut down

cyberrich

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Last night my laptop (Samsung notebook which is 10 months old) wouldn't shut down. It started to in usual way and screen went black, but blue light stayed on the on button and I could hear the laptop still operating. In the end I closed the lid so it went into sleep mode and removed battery and I could then reboot it and shut it down. Can I ask 3 things? What damage will I have caused the laptop and battery by removing it? Is there a better way to shut down if this happens again? And why did it happen? I remember one program became non-responsive so it might be that. This is the second time, it happened once before about 6 months ago and I had to remove the battery so I'd rather not have to do this a third time. Thanks.

LifeisGood

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
Hi pcrich, The black screen was probably waiting for a program to close, Usually it would say that not just go black.
You could press and hold the power button for about 6-7 seconds to shut it off, next time you turn on it might ask about starting in safe mode or normal, If I force a shut down I just start normal.
Not sure if any damage would have occured by removing the batt. Don't think anything would have happened.
How long did you have the black screen before you took out the Batt? sometimes it takes a few minutes. Before shutting down you could also start your task mgr and see what might be running in the background and turn it off from there (end task)
Good luck

cyberrich

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Thanks for the reply. The screen was black for about 3 minutes, whereas normally the laptop shuts down in seconds. I was concerned about any damage to the laptop or battery by removing the battery, which I guess in effect crashes the computer. I did hear that unplugging a frozen desktop damages the PSU. If anyone knows anything about this regarding a laptop I'd love to hear. I'll try holding down the on/off button if it happens again though. Thanks.