[SOLVED] Help with A PSU cord input.

May 31, 2020
Hi I have a type 3 input cord which I want to plug my main fan hub into to support my three fans. My Corsair CX750M has a port that says Peripheral and Sata and its a six pin and there looks to be another six pin right next to it without the wording right underneath it. Sorry I am looking at it through a mesh of cords... I wanted to know if anyone knows if I can plug this type 3 into that or not? I looked at this link https://www.corsair.com/us/en/psu-cable-compatibility and wasn't sure if maybe it was a PATA/SATA? Anyway could use some help. Thanks in advance!

Solution
The old IDE hard drives all used a 4-pin Molex power connection from the PSU. In terms of data connection schemes, those units were called variously IDE or PATA drives. Most of today's drives use the SATA data interface system. But in terms of power supply connections, the older ones all use the Molex connector, whereas the new ones just use the name SATA to describe its new design power connector as well as the same term for its data connector - even though they are different connectors!

The older Molex connector output from the PSU became very widely used for things other than IDE hard drives - things like CD drives, DVD drives, fans, backup tape drives, etc. So they became known more generally as Peripheral power outputs, rather...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The old IDE hard drives all used a 4-pin Molex power connection from the PSU. In terms of data connection schemes, those units were called variously IDE or PATA drives. Most of today's drives use the SATA data interface system. But in terms of power supply connections, the older ones all use the Molex connector, whereas the new ones just use the name SATA to describe its new design power connector as well as the same term for its data connector - even though they are different connectors!

The older Molex connector output from the PSU became very widely used for things other than IDE hard drives - things like CD drives, DVD drives, fans, backup tape drives, etc. So they became known more generally as Peripheral power outputs, rather than 4-pin Molex outputs. Some of the modular cable sets that came with your PSU and fit into one of those 6-pin Peripheral / SATA sockets have on their wires both older 4-pin Molex (aka Peripheral) female connectors and SATA power connectors. You can use both types as required by your devices. Often today one finds there is a shortage of SATA outputs, and some unused Molex outputs. For that you can get little adapters to convert a Molex to a few SATA power outputs for easier use.

Reactions: tobach
Solution
May 31, 2020

The older Molex connector output from the PSU became very widely used for things other than IDE hard drives - things like CD drives, DVD drives, fans, backup tape drives, etc. So they became known more generally as Peripheral power outputs, rather than 4-pin Molex outputs. Some of the modular cable sets that came with your PSU and fit into one of those 6-pin Peripheral / SATA sockets have on their wires both older 4-pin Molex (aka Peripheral) female connectors and SATA power connectors. You can use both types as required by your devices. Often today one finds there is a shortage of SATA outputs, and some unused Molex outputs. For that you can get little adapters to convert a Molex to a few SATA power outputs for easier use.

Thank you that helped a lot. I just plugged it in and my fans and off they went!