Question Help with a really old PC that turn on sometimes

Aug 30, 2022
Hello, guys, i am trying to revive a really old computer, but having some issues with it even to figure it out whats is wrong.

It's a Pentium 4 HT that i dont use since 2008, but i had some personal projects to go with it. First, i cleaned the computer, replaced the CMOS battery and installed a old PSU that used to work.

The computer does turn on and the fans keep spinning everytime, but it wont give me a video signal, sometimes it doesn't even turn on the keyboard. Even when i turn the PC on without any memory, the PC won't beep. I also tried to turn it on just with memories, without the HDD and CD-ROM Drive, but no luck.

If i try to shut it down, sometimes it will do right way, while others i will have to hold the power button for a few secs, as it really should be.

In my tests yesterday, after 4 hours messing up with this machine, i managed to turn it on 3 times, all randomly. I even managed to get through the Windows boot, but the installation was corrupted by my fault on the past.

I don't know if a "dead motherboard" would be able to turn on sometimes, so i am taking suggestions to what to do next. Maybe should i replace the PSU or something?

Sorry for my bad english

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, how old?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

What version of Windows did you attempt to install?

First concern: "old PSU that used to work". Do you have access to another known working PSU to test?

Second concern: when you cleaned the computer what all did you do and how did you do it?