Help with a super duper cheap "junkyard" style build?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
A buddy and I are having a bit of a for fun contest. He has me WAY outclassed with his professional experience with workstations and such so I call for a bit of help to see if there is any way to beat this build to cost.

Provided for me in this build are an i7 3770, Predator X PCI-E based SSD, a GTX750ti low profile card, and a TON of RAM to choose from. ( I actually have backups of everything here, so failure in this part isn't expected to be an issue)

He was able to source an OptiPlex 9010'MT' (full sized) case with mobo and a PSU for $90, and will be the base of his system.

I can't find anything aside from similar to the 7010 SFF builds, but cheaper, lol even as low as $10 but without a PSU. I would prefer something full sized and with a PSU....obviously with multiple PCIe slots....

With the above said...if the PSU fails it will rather invalidate, or at least increase the cost of the build. I cannot use any of my own, pre owned equipment. I hesitate to go above his already established chassis price, if possible. Probably something along lines of Q77 chipset?

What do you think?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Well, the initial run was a good news/bad news scenario.
The 'desktop' build was a 7010 with the Q77 chipset. We loaded it up with the i3 3770, the Predator PCI-e SSD, 32GB of ram, and a low profile 750ti. It cranked right up, we got in BIOS and reset/updated everything, set the boot order, and installed Windows.
Every time we would restart the machine it would read that no hard drive was detected, hit F1 and it would move right along. Actually ran Win 10 pro like a champ. I tried doing legacy and UEFI boot and it just wasn't seeing the drive, even though it would continue on to boot right up and run properly.

The other machine, the 9010MT we forgot to bring a VGA cable for and didn't have a regular profile trim plate for the card, only low profile.