Question Help with a Toshiba Portege R830 (can’t boot)

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
Hello,
I recently bought a Toshiba Portege R830-S8332 off eBay to replace my Satellite R945-P440 with a cracked screen. When I opened it I realized it had a proprietary SSD cable, so I took it apart and stole the regular SATA cable from the Satellite and plugged it into the motherboard where the original cable was. I plugged in a hard drive with a windows 10 installation on it and turned the thing on, but I got presented with Intel boot agent instead, which gave me this:

“PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, Check Cable.”

Booting into the bios, the hard drive is being recognized, but I just can’t get it to boot from it, I keep getting the Intel boot agent instead.

Yes, I have tried another OS drive (a Samsung SSD with windows 11, the drive from the Satellite) same issue.

Am I doing something wrong? Did I not attach the cable properly? I could really use some help as I have absolutely no clue what is going on.

This is a link to the original cable that came with the laptop:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3239864323...lojpcwxt3k&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

This is a link to the cable I replaced it with:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3237502380...lojpcwxt3k&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

USAFRet

Titan
PXE == it cannot find something to boot from. It is reverting to the default settings, and attempting to boot from some network resource.

"Portege R830-S8332 " seems to be a very much older system. 2nd Gen Intel CPU. In no way will a generic Win 11 drive and OS boot up in that. At all.

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
"Portege R830-S8332 " seems to be a very much older system. 2nd Gen Intel CPU. In no way will a generic Win 11 drive and OS boot up in that. At all.

I’ve seen other listings of this system on eBay (albeit, not my processor), and a handful of them have the laptop running windows 11

as for the PXE error, I don’t know why it wouldnt be able to find something to boot off of, because the drive is being recognized in the bios properly

USAFRet

Titan
I’ve seen other listings of this system on eBay (albeit, not my processor), and a handful of them have the laptop running windows 11

as for the PXE error, I don’t know why it wouldnt be able to find something to boot off of, because the drive is being recognized in the bios properly
Getting Win 11 running on it one thing.

Slapping in a drive from a different system is something else completely.
That often does not work with a known Win 11 compatible system.

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
Getting Win 11 running on it one thing.

Slapping in a drive from a different system is something else completely.
That often does not work with a known Win 11 compatible system.
Yeah, I figured that I would have to go the nuclear route and start over with a clean install, I’m going to have to try that

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
An do NOT start with Win 11 on that system.

Start with a known compatible OS.
Win 10 or Linux.

Reduce the potential fail points.
Clean installing the OS solved the not booting problem, I tested installing on an empty hard drive and now the laptop starts fine
Time to install the OS to the drive I actually plan on using
Btw, in the future if I decide to use Linux, I would want to be able to dual boot it asides windows, is there an easy way for me to do that?