Question Help with amd hd 6470m

Abukhalil

Reputable
Feb 23, 2016
My laptop is hp pavilion g6 1040 se, i have an hd 6470m gpu that I'm trying to update its driver, so I install the latest driver from amd (15.7.1 or something, it's a legacy driver) but it changes to 7400m in device manager and refuses to work. So I looked it up and found an older driver (13.11 from guru3d.com) and installed it and now my gpu is working but it changed to "6400m series" in device manager. So I'm starting to think that 15.7.1 isn't compatible with my hd 6470m, so why does it say otherwise in amd website? I also try that tool which detects your gpu and installs the best driver for it but it insists on installing 15.7.1 for some reason. Can someone please explain? Thanks :)
(my gpu is working fine with the 13.11 driver, I'm just trying to understand this 7400m thing...)

Abukhalil

Reputable
Feb 23, 2016
A 7400M was just a rebadged 6470M, so that's not particularly surprising at all.

Can you elaborate? What happens?
Ok so I install the driver normally then restart the laptop, then i go to device manager and it's listed as "amd Radeon hd 7400m", then I realize that I'm using integrated graphics for some reason, so I go to CCC to switch to my amd gpu but the only option available is "desktops and displays" and the other options "power, video, gaming" are gone.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-31u3VgpsAP4j8vqHVaRryT3RzMRHUS6/view?usp=drivesdk

so I boot up one of my games and immediately, the performance is noticeably worse, confirming that I'm using the integrated intel gpu.
My laptop is "hp pavilion g6 1040-se" if that helps, also the latest driver from hp website for this specific laptop yields the same result "it turns into 7400m"