Help with AMD overclocking (955 BE) 2nd thread

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I know this might fit better in the overclocking section, but I didnt get many hits at all there so i moved this over here.

Now that my new cooler has finally been installed (corsair h50) i want to try to overclock my 955 BE. Here are my full system specs:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE
OCZ gold amd DDR3 1600 ram currently at 1333 with 1:3.3:3 ratio or something close to that (8 gigs-4sticks)
MSI 790FX GD70 Mobo
Nvidia Geforce GTX 295
Corsair 750tx 750W psu, single rail
WD Caviar Black 1 tb
Creative Sound Blaster X-fi extreme gamer

First i want to mention a problem i had before: When i went into bios to change the multiplier from 16-16.5 (thats only 3.2ghz to 3.3!!) i couldnt boot the system, my monitor just said DVI no signal. So i had to remove 3 of my ram sticks in order to see the screen and boot up again. Why would the system do that? And how can i overclock without this happening?

PS: my target OC is 3.8 ghz

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

Umm that's weird but i dont think the problem lies in the cpu itself,nevertheless before you attempt to over clock an amd chip make sure you disable cool'n quiet, and auto spread,these are power saving features that usually get in the way of overclocking make sure other components like ram and mobo are not defective, you should be able to adjust the multiplier no problem after doing those things.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

Turning off cool and quiet worked, but what is auto spread? And why did OCing through bios mess up last time. I ended up having to remove 3 sticks of ram then i put them back later