Help with an Anti-static wrist strap?

FloatinHeadDr

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Basically, I got a wrist strap with the crocodile clip ending. The problem is, I'm building my PC from scratch, so I'm not sure where to connect it. I've looked online, and EVERY SINGLE PLACE instructs you to keep the comp plugged in, and attach the clip to the chassis. Even the wrist strap's manufacturers tell you to do this.

I can't do that, though. By the time I need to fit the PSU into the chassis, other components will have already been installed. So where should I connect the wrist strap to?

Sorry if this is a bit basic, but I'm completely new to all this.

Yeah it'll be fine aslong as your not constantly rubbing up against a carpet. I've never used a anti-static strap and I've been building PC's for 6 years. I just touch my case before touching any components, I also work on a wooden floor.

If you attach it to the case be careful you don't scratch it.

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Easy question.

1) Attach one end to your wrist.
2) Attach the other to the trash.
3) Remove the strap from your wrist.
4) Attach said wrist strap to the bottom of the trash can.

Voila! The strap is where it belongs!

Just handle all components by the edges and avoid touching the PCB components.

ps3hacker12

Distinguished

lol, yep i agree, ive never come across a problem opeing/building a PC without a anti-static band as above just earth yourself, and work on a non-carpet/static surface and you should be fine! (even though i myself build my computer on my carpet i wouldnt reccommend it lol)

Taylor422

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010

I built mine on a table that was on carpet, but I sat in an office chair most of the time. Just touch something grounded before you handle any components or after you move around a bit. It's doable, just not recommended.